1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schools abandoning foreign exchange trips because of the burden of completing background checks

Discussion in 'Education news' started by FrankWolley, Dec 2, 2018.

1. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Maybe not much of a surprise...

Schools abandoning foreign exchange trips because of the burden of completing background checks on British host families, head-teachers warn
    • Just 29 percent of state run schools manage exchange programmes
    • New rules have been implemented to protect pupils from abusers
    • While the guidelines are not a legal requirement, schools cannot ignore them

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...abandoning-foreign-exchange-trips-burden.html

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I'm surprised it is as high as 29%

TCSC47, FrankWolley and binaryhex like this.
  3. binaryhex

binaryhex Lead commenter

Who would want their teenage child to go off and stay in the house with an adult bloke you’ve never met and know nothing about? It’s just stupid.

Shedman likes this.
  4. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Or with an adult woman you've never met or know nothing about.

slingshotsally likes this.
  5. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

Absolutely. In my younger days I had the energy and enthusiasm, and more importantly the time, to organise extra curricular activities. I also remember the day when I decided it was simply not worth the candle. From that day everything that I did which was not proscribed for me had to have something in for me.

What else would you get from the name, blame and shame culture, and work us to the bone culture of the past twenty years?

agathamorse and slingshotsally like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Blazer major did an exchange with a family in France when he was in yr9. He is 36 now. Just before half term we went over to visit the family who we have kept in touch with since he did the trip and we hosted their son.

TCSC47 likes this.
  7. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

But I am going to support the so called bureaucracy accompanying activities like this. We all know some children have been and are being abused. What else can you do if you are the responsible authorities?

8. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I need to add that I have absolutely no evidence of abuse occurring through foreign visits, but I do personally know five serious abuse situations, and so I have no problems with any extra effort or work I have to do to try and eliminate any such abuse.