1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schoolgirls are being told to "stop wearing tight trousers" because they're distracting teachers.

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Charlie38y4, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Charlie38y4

Charlie38y4 New commenter

You have just got to see this; A school in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire has caused a little bit of a furore after ordering female students to stop wearing tight trousers because they're distracting teachers.

I'm sorry, I'll reiterate that because I'm having difficulty believing what I'm reading.

Female students in tight trousers, are distracting teachers.

Is it just me or does this seem wrong? Any teacher that is distracted by girls in tight trousers should be looking for another job and probably therapy.

What do you think?

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/news/cambridge-news/school-girls-tight-trousers-ban-13882533

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Probably no evidence that any teachers have actually been distracted, but it's a youngish head trying desperately to impose his uniform policy.

3. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Established commenter

Which teacher(s) committed career suicide by actually raising this as an issue?

tonymars, pepper5, les25paul and 2 others like this.
  4. Charlie38y4

Heaven only knows, John, but the chances are that their next job probably won't be in teaching. It's difficult to find work when you shoot yourself in both feet simultaneously!

pepper5 likes this.
  5. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter Forum guide

Well, I suppose teachers are distracted from teaching by having to enforce the uniform code.
    I 'like' this comment from one of the dads : It's a load of rubbish. I feel that the uniform is too 'correct'.

Yeh, we must have anything being correct, let alone too correct.

Well in this era of choice, just change schools, if you don't like the rules. Simple really.
    ( oh yes, I guess the neighbouring school has an equally strict uinform policy)

6. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

Has a pupil split their pants because they are too tight?

There was a thing about low trousers, where the belt would be around the waist end the crotch dangling between the knees.

I saw one lad crossing the road, but the lights changed. Being London, the drivers started to rev engines, he ran, but his pants fell down before he reached the other side.

IT was VERY funny.

les25paul and sparkleghirl like this.
  7. elder_cat

elder_cat Occasional commenter

1. This could be construed as sexist. No mention of boys who wear tight trousers?:)

2. When I last taught there were some subjects that required photo evidence of students completing a specific task. I had to ask a senior female member of staff to get the female students together, and ask if they could refrain from wearing such low cut blouses, lest I be accused of anything untoward, should someone happen to browse the contents of my camera's SD Card.:eek:

pepper5 likes this.
  8. Shedman

Shedman Star commenter

Charlie38y4, you are using the same avatar as Wanet. Nothing wrong with that except it confuses me. Are you Wanet in disguise?

pepper5 likes this.
  9. Charlie38y4

No, absolutely not. All I did was pick one of the preset avatars. I'll have to see if i can make one, since having a limited number of ready made ones is obviously confusing.

pepper5 likes this.
  10. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

Perhaps the head of this school would like to make the burqa compulsory for all of the girls.

pepper5 and sparkleghirl like this.
  11. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

They are being asked to wear trousers and not leggings as part of their school uniform. It's not that big an ask really. And even if they don't want to go to the approved vendors they could be bought quite cheaply from the likes of Tesco. And the girls then have some smart trousers for other use.

Laphroig, nomad and pepper5 like this.
  12. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

I wouldn’t think any teachers get distracted by this...or if they do they should consider their role.

More to the point for me would be what happens between home and school. We all know there is a small minority of people who would take advantage of schoolchildren and if the children are wearing tight trousers/short skirts it could be seen as sending out the wrong message.

pepper5 likes this.
  13. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Occasional commenter

As always, when I read about a Head Teacher being over-zealous in enforcing school uniform rules, I would like to know if that Head would be equally willing to take summary action over instances of students' poor classroom behaviour or lack of effort, which are far more serious issues.

I wonder what made that Head Teacher feel that his male staff were being distracted by girls in tight leggings. That is surely his own (mistaken) view.

14. peter12171

peter12171 Lead commenter

Or maybe he was being distracted!

galerider123 likes this.
  15. drvs

drvs Lead commenter

Wouldn't they be sitting down in the majority of lessons? o_O

slingshotsally likes this.
  16. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Lead commenter

Whatever the ins and outs of the uniform policy, to suggest that teachers are distracted by this is to tee it up perfectly for a parent or a local reporter or the Daily Mail to ask which teachers.

I sympathise with staff and management trying to impose some kind of standard of decent dress but if anyone really said this then it was a really really stupid thing to say,

I like your new avatar Charlie ;)

tonymars and pepper5 like this.
  17. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Any issue to do with girls uniform I've always left to female staff. It's just too risky...

Girls rolling their skirts up to make them shorter, showing more leg... I once told them to sort their skirts out... never doing that again. Lays you open to WAY too many accusations.

tonymars, pepper5, phlogiston and 3 others like this.
  18. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Fashion trousers, whether tight, baggy, ripped or punk style with zips (I miss the 70s :() are not uniform trousers and if the school has a uniform they should not be worn. Full Stop.

Of course the students wouldn't understand this (that's their job) but the parents should have grown up by now and should understand.

19. thatmaninthehat

thatmaninthehat Occasional commenter

:eek::confused::oops:o_O Do we need an 'I can't believe you just said that' button?

Laphroig, TCSC47 and Charlie38y4 like this.
  20. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

Clearly, the reason given is nonsense, and worrying if true. However, I don't think the request is unreasonable. Did anyone look at the article? The kids look atrocious - leggings and a sweatshirt is never a good look! Most schools I've worked in (primary) have had no leggings as part of the policy, and secondary schools are usually smarter.

Pomz, Moony and thatmaninthehat like this.