1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schoolgirl who joined IS now wants to return

Discussion in 'Personal' started by monicabilongame, Feb 14, 2019.

?

Should she be allowed to return to the UK?

1. Yes, without reservation

5 vote(s)
    4.2%
  2. Yes, if only for the sake of the baby

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. Yes, but only under certain conditions (you can specify these)

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  4. Yes, she needs re-educating/rehabilitation

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  5. No, she's made her bed

84 vote(s)
    71.2%
  6. Other (please specify)

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...girl-joined-isil-found-syria-wants-come-home/
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47229181
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...l-who-fled-to-join-isis-wants-to-return-to-uk

According to all reports, Shamima Begum, who left the UK when she was 15 to join IS in Syria, has no regrets about her decision to go there, and now only wants to come back to the UK because she is scared for the health of her unborn baby (she is due to give birth very soon) and doesn't want it to die of malnutrition and illness in the refugee camp like her previous two did. She is 19 and still married to the Dutch IS fighter who surrendered himself to Kurdish forces.

Should she, as a British citizen, be allowed to return?

nomad likes this.
  2. catmother

catmother Star commenter

I ticked other as I really don't know.

3. fadeyushka_1967

fadeyushka_1967 New commenter

Silly girl. Unrepentant to the very end - and casually remarking about severed heads not affecting her in any way. She wishes to return because of our wonderful National Health service - the very antithesis of the caliphate she joined and no doubt still fights for.

freckle06, Nebka, renegade29 and 11 others like this.
  4. fadeyushka_1967

fadeyushka_1967 New commenter

What is there to think about? The baby? Well at the very least it should be removed from the mother on the grounds that it will no doubt be indoctrinated into becoming part of the continuing the caliphate.

bevdex, Nebka, needabreak and 6 others like this.
  5. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ran off to join a genocidal enslaving death cult ... then is amazed they don't have the best health care plan.

I mean sure, I guess we could house her in a women's prison. I don't think the child should be kept with the mother. Social services should be finding it a good home.

silkywave, bevdex, Nebka and 17 others like this.
  6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

My own preference is that she should not be allowed to return. Not out of any retributive sentiment, but because I do not believe anyone should be able to choose the benefits of British citizenship when it suits them particularly after breaking its laws.

7. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Not way, not ever in a million years.

I'm sorry she made such a silly mistake at an young age and even more sorry she doesn't still doesn't understand or regret the consequence.

But we will be allowing a trained and experienced Deash terrorist into our country, a country they do not respect and want to be force on it a extreme version of Islam. (I do have respect and no issue with Islam as a whole, just not Deash). Deash are no friends of Islam, our way of life or humanity in general and the sooner their grip on parts of the World is over the better.

I have some sympathy for the life her unborn child will be born into but greater sympathy for the children and adults that could be blown up by a Deash bomb in one of our major cities.

Nebka, needabreak, AckyWacky and 15 others like this.
  8. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I'm afraid she probably doesn't realise the reception she is likely to receive in the UK. If she is not sent to prison she will become a hate target and probably need round-the-clock police protection.

9. wrldtrvlr123

wrldtrvlr123 Occasional commenter

To be honest, she still sounds radicalized/brainwashed and I wouldn't particularly trust her back in the country.

10. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Thing is we have lots of former ISIS fighters back in the country already... minimal efforts made to deradicalise them and monitored by the security services or on the Prevent program. That's one reason why extremist voices have started calling Prevent ''Islamophobic'' ,,, because it monitors these loons.

Isn't there an empty Scottish island we can plonk them on?

11. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Lead commenter

No. She must never be allowed to return. She would be a potential danger to the country, and so would her child. She can radicalize her child to her heart's content in northern Syria for the rest of her life.

Nebka, needabreak, artboyusa and 7 others like this.
  12. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I think she will have to be allowed back because, as I understand it, she has only UK citizenship. So the risk of prison is probably her most likely future..

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Too bad - she made her choice.

14. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

I'd just like to take her baby, really. Give it a good life. Poor kid - it'll probably go the same way as her other dead children.

15. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Another British jihadi bride, Tareena Shakil, who got out of the war zone with her child, lied to the security services on her return and was jailed for membership of a terrorist group.

If Ms Begum got out of the country, that is the kind of charge she could face - along with encouraging or supporting terrorism.

agathamorse likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Which of course she knows. Hence the wish to return.
    In reply to myself.

agathamorse likes this.
  17. MustaphaMondeo

MustaphaMondeo Occasional commenter

I don't want her back but we should allow her to return because of :: health and safety / uman rites / every citizen especially the unborn should be treated equally.

So I ticked no way Jose but I meant yes we owe it to her/his grandparents.

18. Summerhols6

Summerhols6 Occasional commenter

She's a future terror threat. We don't want another Manchester Bombing and she should be locked up. She's a 'child' in age only. Has had two children already, witnessed terrible things, many that haven't concerned her. She could be coming back to have the baby then cause an act of terrorism that's a real danger. It's not politically correct to speak the truth but would you enter a concert etc knowing a member/ former member of IS was present? I wouldn't!

19. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

My first thought was that she didn't seem at all repentant and said she had no regrets - but I then I thought that she could be saying this to avoid retribution in the camp where she lives - but when she said that bit about the head in the bin - well if you are repentant but scared of showing it, why even mention that at all?

I feel for her and more for her child - she has already lost two children at the age of nineteen - I believe the person interviewing her said she seemed in shock, and not surprisingly.

She is a British citizen so can't be made stateless - but the risk of radicalisation is worrying. She could be allowed back but charged/imprisoned etc but when she came out of prison she would have to have a new identity and be monitored and there must be a limit on how much/how many people can be monitored and for how long.

What happens about her Dutch husband if he is released? Would he want to join her - how would that work? Should his family be involved with his wife and child?

In any case the government has stated that it won't rescue people from Syria as they won't put their staff at risk, so I don't know how she would get back to the UK anyway.

agathamorse likes this.
  20. adam_nichol

adam_nichol Occasional commenter

I voted no.
    Legally, we probs don't have much of a choice. She's a citizen. She comes back to face UK justice. But I'm not sure we have thought thru the consequences of demonstrating that this is a pathway for would-be jihadists: go abroad, learn the craft, return to do a spell in prison, serve the cause inside jail and upon release. We could well see a glut of these.
    For this case individually, her return will be met with fierce opposition. Our security forces will be placed in the perverse predicament of having to protect an unrepentant enemy of the state form the citizens of that state; whilst she will doubtless be allowed access to her child to indoctrinate the next generation of hate. In the meanwhile, mainstream folks will suddenly start to feel more kinship with far right groups, who will profit and recruit from these events.
    The long and short term fallouts from this are just hideous all-round.
    As for the girl herself. She claims no repentance, nor any desire to contribute to UK society. She simply wants to use the money of her enemy to fund the care for her child whilst it learns to hate those providing for it. She left this country to join another, to which her allegiance still remains. To my mind, she has renounced her citizenship here, and her progress to these shores is an attempt at invasion - and should be dealt with as such.