1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schoolboy stabbed & killed

Discussion in 'Education news' started by Vince_Ulam, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's all the same. There is nothing about those white marks on a dark surface which necessarily indicates artifice.

No, it's not. It's a Poisson-Voronoi tessellation within the granulation of a fluid surface due to convection cells. It's mathematics so don't fret too much about your error. I wouldn't expect everyone to understand it.

No, I'm saying that I recognise a Posson-Voronoi tessellation. It's mathematics, I'm a mathematician. Recognising patterns is our business.

No, just you.

Incidence of knife crime is not randomly distributed. You don't get knife crime on top of Ben Nevis but you do get a lot of it in the poorer and more densely populated areas of large cities.

Excellent. Something upon which we agree.

2. Vince_Ulam

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

A student was stabbed yesterday at Southfields Academy in Wandsworth.

4. Vince_Ulam

Thanks, it's on Page 1.

5. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Sorry. I only saw it on the lunch time news today so assumed it was fresh news.

6. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Not going to bother answering individually because it is pure gibberish in the context of this thread and my argument. (and that does not mean I didn't understand it, in case you try that little chesnut.) It has no relevance, the answers you gave mostly either misrepresented what I said or exposed your total lack of knowledge. More to the point it said nothing to answer my points. If you go for dishonesty then you forfeit any validity.

This is the crux of the matter, you want a particular pattern to be present and therefore you are not going to let a little thing like evidence get in the way of it.

OK since you don't understand much about Science let's try a Mathematical approach.

If you tossed a coin 4 times and it came down heads each time would you be completely confident that the coin was definitely biassed in favour of heads. No only an idiot would assume that on the basis of 4 trials.

Similarly, if all the perps in all four stabbing incidents were from low income families, would assume the pattern was greed and this was a simple robbery. Of course not.

Even if all the perps were from single mother, low income, living in run-down-council-estates homes you could still not be confident about assuming this was a definite pattern based on just four incidents. If the authorities were to act on this sort of basis then it, most likely, would make matters worse and end up causing more deaths.

It is exactly this sort of woolly minded thinking and clinging to assumptions that gives the sort of situation we have in schools presently with regard to targets, ofsted etc.

The unlawful death of young people is too important a matter for it to be reduced to a Daily Mail rant full of wholly unsubstantiated assumptions about the possible causes. That is why I am so insistent on pointing out your very obvious errors.

7. Vince_Ulam

Let's go over this. You asked me if I could see a pattern on the surface of the Sun and it never crossed your mind that there was a pattern to see? Further, I tell you what causes the pattern and even name it, and your response is 'gibberish'. As far as you are concerned, science and mathematics are 'gibberish'. You have nothing to offer this discussion. You're done.

Gibberish.

8. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

Ahh given up have we?
    You haven't understood a thing have you?

Your set of examples are completely irrelevant to the thread and our particular discussion.
    Perhaps, though, you could point me to the paper which describes the application of the Poisson-Voronoi tessellation to an ideal gas (which is what the Sun is) as opposed to a hard sphere fluid which it can approximate.

The second part of my reply obviously hit home. What you have done is a classic case of projection. It is something we all do. But, if we want to make meaning of the world, it is something we have to be aware and very careful of. It is not always appropriate.

Learning is not always an easy or pleasant thing but if we ever stop we may as well give up altogether.

9. Vince_Ulam

There's only so much that can be done with someone who proudly asserts your howlers. I may certainly continue responding while it amuses me to do so but I can no longer hope for anything from you resembling a serious argument or a factual statement.

No, they go to show that patterns do not need to bear the signature of their causes.

It doesn't, for one very good reason - the Sun is not an ideal gas. Honestly, where did you get this stuff?
    [This comment/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]
    This is why I can't take your responses seriously. First you call science & mathematics 'gibberish' and now you claim that the Sun is an ideal gas. What next? Is the Moon made of green cheese? Is the sky an inverted bowl? Goodness, me.

As your own example demonstrates. 'Ideal gas', indeed. I'm not surprised you call science & mathematics 'gibberish' if you believe the Sun is an ideal gas as you clearly can't recognise either but for anyone who is following this discussion and who may have an interest then you can see the dynamic tessellation of the photosphere, the imprint of Rayleigh–Bénard convection within the Sun, in action below; go full-screen for the best effect:

10. Vince_Ulam

11. Vince_Ulam

12. Vince_Ulam

Pupil took knife to school and threatened teacher

'A 10-year-old boy who threatened a teacher with a knife in front of classmates has been excluded from school.

[...]

Police were not called to the incident which the school say involved a cutlery knife.'

(lep.co.uk, 19th September 2015.)

A child threatens a teacher with a knife in front of other children, his friends; the police are not called. What did you learn at school today, kids?

13. Vince_Ulam

Boy, six, reportedly brings knife into Gravel Hill primary school in Bexleyheath

'Concerned parents claim to be considering removing their children from a Bexleyheath primary school, after a six-year-old reportedly brought a knife to class.

[...]

A Gravel Hill spokesman said: "There was an incident at the school the week before half term.

"The matter was quickly dealt with and the parents directly involved were contacted and spoken to.

"The safety and wellbeing of our children is always our priority.

"At no time were pupils in any danger and it would be an extreme exaggeration to claim that they were."
    '

(Newsshopper.co.uk, 3rd November 2015.)

14. Vince_Ulam

In Scotland, however, they do things right:

North-east school boy expelled amid claims he threatened teacher with a knife

'The boy was subsequently charged by police and later reported to the youth justice management unit.'

(PressAndJournal.co.ukl, 3rd November 2015.)

15. Vince_Ulam

Police called to Hartlepool school after boy found with knife

Police have confirmed they are taking no further action and no crime has been committed.

[...]

“The knife was concealed up the pupil’s sleeve and only a very small number of other pupils were made aware of its existence."

Apparently illegal knife possession is not a crime in Hartlepool.

16. kittykinsfluffty

kittykinsfluffty New commenter

Caning - as in some Asian / African countries? I think we have evolved past that.

17. Vince_Ulam

Some people decided that school discipline was a bad thing. I think schoolkids with knives are a worse thing.

18. kittykinsfluffty

kittykinsfluffty New commenter

No. they decided that hitting children was a bad thing.

Some pupils carried knives during the 50s60s and 70s when there was caning.

What's changed? We don't hit kids anymore - that's all.

19. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

20. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Double stabbing at a school in Dulwich today.

Vince_Ulam likes this.