1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Schoolboy mugged on school trip to Thorpe Park

Discussion in 'Personal' started by schoolsout4summer, Jul 16, 2019.

1. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Today, a pupil from Preston Secondary School, Yeovil, in Somerset, was mugged while on a school trip to Thorpe Park, with the rest of his school year group. The youth was found crying and shaking with terror. He claimed that three black pupils from another school had threatened him with a large knife and then stolen his money, phone etc.
    Luckily security cameras had recorded the mugging and the pupils were quickly identified.
    The muggers and the rest of their school were then asked to leave by the management.
    I wonder if this will be hushed up?

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Poor lad!!

3. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Why would it be?

Edit: Just checked Google news... nothing there. Last story they have was 11th July.

Not sure a mugging would make the news.... must be quite common in the London area.

nomad likes this.
  4. primarycat

primarycat Star commenter

Think this is true. I woke up once to find my house taped off as part of a crime scene - argument between friends, picked up knife, spilled into street and stabbing. No report even in any local news. Luckily no major harm was done to anyone. But there is just too much going on (and not just in the London area) for it all to be newsworthy.

5. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

Seems strange to report on the colour of the muggers. It has a very Seventies feel about this story.

coffeekid likes this.
  6. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

If it's being "hushed up", how does the OP know about it?

phlogiston, JL48, blue451 and 2 others like this.
  7. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Clearly you don't read much news.

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Seems to me to be one helluva long journey to make to visit a theme park. It must be at least 120 miles by road - say 2 1/2 hours taking into account the normal traffic heading into London on the M3 in the morning!

nizebaby likes this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Ah cunning see... he's professor of cunning at the university of supersly

nomad likes this.
  10. nomad

nomad Star commenter

“As cunning as a fox who’s just been appointed Professor of Cunning at Oxford University?”

11. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Just that? No-one phoned the police and no-one arrested? If true that is very disturbing.

12. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

“So cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel.”

chelsea2 and nomad like this.
  13. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

True enough, but the school newsletter does confirm that it was a planned outing for Year 10 yesterday:

https://www.prestonschool.co.uk/uploads/files/the-voice/Newsletterwk99.pdf

I doubt that the incident was sufficiently newsworthy to make even the local media, but if any hushing up is going on it will probably be by the school or PRU that was asked to leave Thorpe Park.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    schoolsout4summer and nomad like this.
  14. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Why would the school, teachers or parents of the victim's school NOT call the police? Very strange...:confused:

agathamorse likes this.
  15. florian gassmann

The incident took place on private property, so that would be up to management, but given that the miscreants and their school/PRU were identified, it is quite possible that the police will pursue matters if asked.

nomad likes this.
  16. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

Thorpe Park. Ugh. Horrible memories of visiting as a teenager. I bet far worse than a mugging's taken place there - even back then it had the feeling to me of a place where Bad Things Happen.
    Maybe I'm too sensitive...

17. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Surely not? If I am assaulted and robbed in Tesco the management of Tesco don't get to decide whether I can call the police. I guess they decide whether they are going to call the police but they can't tell me (or anyone else there) whether the police can be called.

agathamorse and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  18. FrankWolley

Exactly.

agathamorse likes this.
  19. florian gassmann

Of course you can call the police, but the police cannot enter private property without a search or arrest warrant, unless they are in direct pursuit of someone who has committed a serious crime (which this wasn't, however unpleasant it may have been for the victim), so their powers of investigation would be severely limited without the co-operation of management.

Similarly, the police cannot force their way into the school (or PRU) from which the muggers came, in order to question them. If they have no search or arrest warrant, they require permission from the head to enter the premises.

As I said, it would require a complaint from the parent(s) or school of the boy who was mugged for the police to take action - which they could do retrospectively, given that the identity of the muggers is known. It is not impossible, of course, that a complaint was made at Thorpe Park. We simply do not have the details.

nomad likes this.
  20. FrankWolley

It is reported a knife was involved. I'd say that makes it a serious crime, esp. given the understandable concerns re knife crime, esp. in & around London! o_O