1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School won't pay for extra hours

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by bettycom, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Hi all
    I recently asked the Head at my school whether I could be paid to attend Parent's Evenings. All of them fall on days I do not work. I was told that all staff with kids would have to pay extra on these days to have the children looked after and that I was no different. I have to pay to have my kids looked after and I am effectively paying to go to work. Is this right? They have offered to pay my petrol.
    bettycom

2. Hi all
    I recently asked the Head at my school whether I could be paid to attend Parent's Evenings. All of them fall on days I do not work. I was told that all staff with kids would have to pay extra on these days to have the children looked after and that I was no different. I have to pay to have my kids looked after and I am effectively paying to go to work. Is this right? They have offered to pay my petrol.
    bettycom

3. The rules are quite clear. If you are being asked to work on days which you do not normally work then you must be paid for your time. It really is as simple as that.
    You do not have to attend these events if they are not held on your normal working days.
    All this is quite clear in the relevant documentation (STPCD etc). I am sure your employer is aware of this and is "trying it on".
    Tell the school that unless you are paid for the hours you will be attending work for the events you will not be there.
    It is nothing to do with childcare.

4. It might seem like a daft question, but how would we actually go about achieving this being- paid-for-coming-in-on-non-work days. Especially without issuing an ultimatum?
    Like the original poster, I also often am not at work on parents evening days but have always gone in to do them.
    Also, where do we stand if we work during the morning and the parents-evening is after school (ours start at 4pm) and therefore doesn't lead on from the end of the normal working day?
    Thanks!

5. I did have an inkling that this might be the case but if I do now go in quoting the STPCD about this I think my name would be mud. It is so hard when you know you're in the right and SLT say different. How to go about being assertive but not seen as a trouble maker is so difficult. :(

6. mrkeys

mrkeys Occasional commenter

Either only go in on days that you work or insist on being paid. If you continue to work for nothing you simply make it more difficult for those part teachers who really do need the money.
    In fact it is nothing to do with needing the money, it is just entitlement to your STP&C.

7. You are completely right MrKeys, but Bettycom puts it very well - how to achieve it without causing chaos!!
    I will make tentative enquiries though - you are right regarding needing (or not) the money - with 3 kids to pay childcare for while I am at parents evening, I am definitly in the needing it camp, but as you say that really makes no difference, it is being paid properly that matters.

8. mrkeys

Sorry, forgot the how.
    Be factual
    Use the STPCD
    Speak to your HT, if this falls on deaf ears then I would write a short letter explaining your understanding of STP&C
    Failing this, then use your union
    You are not a trouble maker
    You should not feel intimidated into attending
    It should not cause chaos, if it does, then you have very inept management
    Schools that do not follow STP&C are simply bullying staff to attend sessions when they KNOW that staff should at the very least be paid.

9. That's helpful - was wondering if it should be union first or school first.
    And backdating? ;)

10. mrkeys

When I was a union official always better to see that the member had tried to resolve the issue themselves.
    So school, yourself first
    Keep notes
    If no solution seek proper union support
    In this case the teacher has the protection of STP&C
    Any decent union official would sort this out
    Back dating?
    I don't think so. But may be quite interesting to try!

11. Compassman

Compassman Star commenter

Exactly. Then you get told you are unprofessional by asking for payment but hand on what about other professions like solicitors for example who will ask for payment for every minute they work. Time for teachers to do the same. If you want overtime then you've got to pay for it.

12. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

It works both ways.
    Schools advertise posts as part-time - that's how I was employed. I didn't 'ask' for it. It suits both of us.
    This issue of pay for INSET and meetings etc crops up time and time again.
    There are so many variations of part time working, INSET arrangements, parents evenings, staff meetings. I just wish that all HTs and teachers knew the rules and could talk to each other about how to make things work fairly for their staff and for the smooth running of the school.
    It can't be that difficult?

13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

You should all be insisting that your Unions, via the school rep if applicable, make the manangement aware of the rules regrading p/t workers and parents' evenings /INSET etc.
    That way, no individual p/t teacher will have to stick their head above the parapet and risk a personal backlash.

14. Last year I worked p/t in two schools -one for two days a week and one for a day and a half. School A had one parents evening on a day I worked there and one on a day I worked at school B. Both the school B ones were on days I worked at school A but one was later than the other so I cycled over there for it. I informed each school at the earliest opportunity that I wouldn't be able to make those particular parents evenings (and the one I would try to do but couldn't be certain). My job shares did the others alone although we'd discussed things we wanted to say.
    I imagine it'd be different in secondary schools where it's not a job share but could hold a separate night instead for all p/t teachers.

15. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

I'm not sure ,many parents would choose to turn up to see just one or 2 teachers who they didn't see on the main night...