1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Visits with Job Vacancies

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by anon3407, Mar 8, 2012.

1. Depending on how far away the school is from your current address, I'm sure they'll understand if you can not make it for a visit prior to interview day/submitting the application form.

I think schools have to allow teachers (and trainees) time off to go for interviews so that shouldn't be a problem. At the end of the day, the ultimate aim is for you to get a perm job!

It obviously is possible as I've just secured a job in a completely new part of the country, and I didn't go for a pre visit!

2. Talc_1234

Talc_1234 New commenter

No they don't. To be honest I wouldn't bother visiting schools before applying. Take a good look round if you are invited to interview

3. I hate to sound negative but we had the closing date on Friday at my school and I know anyone who didn't visit wasn't even considered! I suppose it all depends on the school! Our visits are 1-1 and include a mini interview and notes are made about you after! When I was applying last year though I went to visit schools in groups of about 10 and they'd have no idea who I was if I did put an application in!!!

Visit if you can, you should be able to arrange visits after school and possibly leave uni early?

Fahrsx :)

4. I visited a school last week and the Head said that they don't even look at applications if the candidate hasn't visited. She then qualified this by saying that she doesn't apply this to people who live a long way away.

5. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Just to clarify - it's primary schools which often expect/demand a pre-application visit.
    Secondaries don't even encourage it. In all the six secondary schools I've worked in (2 as head), I can only recall one prospective candidate asking for a pre-application tour and he was Dutch.

6. I would imagine it depends on how many applicants did visit, and the impressions they made. The last school I visited only had one other person in to view before the closing date, and they shortlisted at least five people.
    As most people have said, though, when you live impracticably far from the school, exceptions are likely to be made. I would make reference to having wanted to visit the school in you cover letter though, just to play it safe.

7. I'm not sure my school would give me a day off to go and look around a school I was thinking of applying for a job at...

8. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

A lot will depend on the local job market- "nice" cities tend not to have large numbers of opportunities for that very reason so you need to research what the situation is like. If schools are receiving hundreds of applications for posts then they may focus just on the interviews and not have separate visits or "open days".
    Fundamentally it is the application that will get you noticed and long listed so you need to be sure that this is of a high quality particularly if you are loking for a primary phase post.

9. I went on three pre-application visits when looking for secondary jobs. I found them really helpful in understanding whether I would want to work at the school - and also for picking up some of the key themes to reflect in the application.
    I decided not to apply for one, was interviewed for the other two, came second for one, offered the job at the other.... but I was lucky to be offering a subject (Physics) in relative demand at the (pre-Cox) time
    If you go on a visit, be prepared for it to be treated by the school as part of the selection process.
    Not sure how a school would react if you said you were too far away to travel but could you have a short conversation with someone (you'd need to have some very smart questions lined up if you went down this line) .... and views, Middlemarch or others?

10. Schools that 'require' visits will often say so in the information they send out to applicants. In general primary rather than secondary encourage visits - most applicants for secondary will do their 'homework' via the school website - these tend to be bigger and more informative than primary websites.
    If you do need to make a visit, then that is normally allowed by placement schools unless it turns out that you are away for lots of visits.
    The Sage

11. Middlemarch

As I said, it is not expected at secondary level that you will undertake pre-application/interview visits - and certainly, once you're in a job you'd struggle to persuade the head to let you have time off during the school day merely to visit before applying.
    I would certainly react warmly to someone wanting to chat on the phone before applying, however (as long as they didn't ask daft 'just asking because I think it will make me look keen and so get shortlisted' questions).

12. OK, so these schools would choose someone who turned up in person to look at corridors, classrooms, dining halls and children's artwork on the walls in person over someone who may have more experience/skills/qualifications. Well, guess what: I would not want to work in a school like this.
    This also raises 3 more questions: 1. What kind of a candidate can make themselves free for two whole days (one visit, another for interview) on a schoolday? 2. What are application forms for if candidates are not shortlisted on the basis of what they put down on them? 3. Is this even legal - discriminating against candidates purely on the basis of not having come on an informal visit?

13. Wow. I don't think I'd dare ask for the ht on the phone before applying, just for a chat... I'd be afraid s/he'd consider me pushy, (maybe even a sycophant...?) Also for some posts there are 50-100+ applicants. Would hts not get irritated if everyone wanted a chat with them before, even if just on the phone?

14. Middlemarch

Sorry, Spool, I meant if I heard they'd rung up! I'd expect the person to be referred to (say) the relevant HOD, though I would speak personally to someone considering an AHT or DHT position.

15. educadoralisa

educadoralisa New commenter

I know this post is very old but I need to clarify something. I never went on a visit prior to the interview and was short listed three times.
    Two weeks ago I sent an application for a SLT job and today I received a call asking for a visit before the closing date. I am currently working in a school 1 hour away from my house and this school. I have asked for a after school visit but it was impossible so only option is to take time from work (not sure if I will be allowed). I know they have looked at my application so my question is how important it is to go to the school visit?

16. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Firstly, they might be testing you, to see how committed you are to applying for the job. Secondly, either they want to see what you're like before going further, or they want you to see what the school is like - is there something significant about the school they might want you to see, such as is it a faith school, or RI, or has an onsite behaviour unit, or is it a small rural school? Thirdly, it could be that they just really want to get the right person; someone who genuinely likes the atmosphere of the school and wants to work there.

17. educadoralisa

educadoralisa New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I have asked to go at least to see if I could fit or not in the job and to have that experience in the future. At the moment I am not sure what I want to do but I will think about it during the weekend and I am sure on Monday I will be ready to know it.

blueskydreaming likes this.