1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School visits - any advice and what to wear?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Vanadesse, Mar 21, 2012.

1. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've got a few school visits this week, the ones where you go before applying. My first question is, what do I wear? I'm torn between going for smart trousers and a nice top or smart trousers and a blouse, any thoughts?

Secondly, any advice or tips? I know that basically it's like an interview, everything I say or do has a big impact upon whether or not I actually get shortlisted so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

2. Vanadesse

Vanadesse New commenter

I've got a few school visits this week, the ones where you go before applying. My first question is, what do I wear? I'm torn between going for smart trousers and a nice top or smart trousers and a blouse, any thoughts?

Secondly, any advice or tips? I know that basically it's like an interview, everything I say or do has a big impact upon whether or not I actually get shortlisted so any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

3. I have done 3 school visits in the last few weeks. I wore smart trousers and a nice top. I was kind of inbetween what others wore - some wore suits, others were more casual than me.
    I tried to read up as much as possible on the schools by looking at their Ofsted reports, their websites etc. I tried to be enthusiastic and spoke to the children if I had the chance. Mostly I treated it as a chance to decide if the school was right for me, and I used the info that I obtained from the visit in my application. Some others took notes - I didn't.
    The first school I applied for but didn't get shortlisted, which didn't really surprise me as I didn't feel we were mutually right for each other. I didn't like the second school so didn't apply. I applied to the third and have an interview next week.
    i found the visits invaluable in helping me decide whether to apply, and how to tailor my application.
    Best of luck

4. My advice always is to be professional and look professional and to treat the visit as if it were an interview and dress accordingly (suit, two piece smart top/skirt/trousers and, for men a tie (NOT a jazzy funny tie that yo0u think reflects your personality, but a business like tie0.
    The Sage

5. Yes, definitely be smart, wear what you would normally for school. I am almost finishing my NQT year and am moving on from my temporary contract to hopefully a permanent one therefore I am looking around at schools now. I would always suggest you try and look at a school while the children are in, as most of the personality of the school comes from them. Also when you are looking round ask about the school development plan, it will tell you if what the school is working on improving is something you're interested in getting involved in.
    Hope this has helped x