1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School visit for Dep Head Vacancy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by paulap1204, Mar 20, 2011.

1. Am nervous as I am going to my first visit for a deputy headship. What kind of questions should I ask on my look round. Have loads of general questions I would ask for a general teaching vacancy, but not sure whether I need to be asking any more specific questions????

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

What are the Governors like?
    What is the budget like for next year?
    What are the priorities on the School Improvement Plan?
    What is progress like in core subjects?
    Maybe a bit too nosey, I don't know...

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I don't know whether your focus should be about questions to ask & definitely nothing you could find the answer to by reading the info/website etc.
    If it were me I'd be looking at making staff connections, looking at how, if appointed, you might pull the staff togther/work with staff make the most of staff expertise etc.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'm in the same position. I asked about division of responsibilities, teaching time vs leadership time, progress out of special measures (though this may not be applicable), make up of leadership team. Think that was all the specific DH type questions.

I would definitely think hard about whether you could work well with the HT, so asking questions that give you a flavour of their philosophy is a good idea as well. I've looked at two schools recently and one I didn't feel I could work with the HT as we were poles apart, so I'm not applying. The other was fab and I am applying, hence spending hours here today procrastinating!

Best of luck...I'm keeping in mind that the competition for AH and DH posts is much less than for classteacher posts!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Meant to add you could ask on the SMT forum, they might have more experience.