1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School visit experiences

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by davies88, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Hi all,

Went to look around a school today - the visit was quite different to all others I've been on and I was wondering whether anyone of you has had a similar experience?!

It started with us being welcomed into the HT's office by the HT, deputy and assistant head, then introducing ourselves and saying where we were from. Then the head started chatting with each of us individually, asking where we trained, what experience we had, whether we'd started our induction, why we became teachers etc. The staff all seemed very friendly but it was almost like having a mini interview infront of a panel of strangers and other candidates! Every other visit I've been on has been a general tour and information about the post/school - I've never been asked direct questions before.

I suppose it gives the head some background information about us and could help him shortlist, but I felt a bit under judgement... the head wrote notes and it made me wonder what else he would note down about me once I had gone! Other than that the school seemed fine, we had a little look round afterwards and the kids seemed happy and cheerful.

Just wondered what you guys thought? Anyone else had this sort of visit?
    Thanks

2. I have had the same kind of experience but just with the head and other candidates, no existing staff.

I think Theo will probably say that whenever you are in a school - visit, informal chat, interview - that you are always being judged so always be prepared to sell yourself and make a good impression.
    Sarah

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I agree with Sarah (and Theo), never assume anything is 'insignificant' in any contact with a school.
    Years ago I went to an 'informal sherry party' the evening before the interviews and it was so obviuously 'let's see how these candidates would fit into our staff' evening.