1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school visit and OFSTED

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jenijeni, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Apologies - this may well be more of a random rant than an actual topic...
    I'm due to take part in a school visit to Spain in three weeks time, followed by a visit to Germany.
    Not ideal to miss this much school - but understandably, a lot of colleagues don't want to take part, especially as both are over weekends - and yes, I am really looking forward to both visits!
    BUT - we're expecting OFSTED in at any minute - so yesterday I was told that I need to find someone else to take my place (as I'm HoF) - so that I can be here for the inspection (although "we're doing nothing differently").
    When I pointed out to SLT that the reason I was going was because others didn't want to take part (it's a long way to Spain by coach!!), I was told to "be more assertive and tell them they're going - they're language teachers so they should want to go".
    Is it me or is this totally bonkers?

2. Apologies - this may well be more of a random rant than an actual topic...
    I'm due to take part in a school visit to Spain in three weeks time, followed by a visit to Germany.
    Not ideal to miss this much school - but understandably, a lot of colleagues don't want to take part, especially as both are over weekends - and yes, I am really looking forward to both visits!
    BUT - we're expecting OFSTED in at any minute - so yesterday I was told that I need to find someone else to take my place (as I'm HoF) - so that I can be here for the inspection (although "we're doing nothing differently").
    When I pointed out to SLT that the reason I was going was because others didn't want to take part (it's a long way to Spain by coach!!), I was told to "be more assertive and tell them they're going - they're language teachers so they should want to go".
    Is it me or is this totally bonkers?

3. Bonkers!
    Who is organising the trip/is in charge? Surely that person should choose who is going and who they can work with well - it's such a big responsibility taking kids abroad and you want to be sure your team is strong and supportive.
    Make sure that in future members of your smt are going on trips because that will make them see how demanding a job that is. In my school we are very lucky as all of smt have been on trips abroad and some of them have been in charge as well, so they understand!
    Good luck! (for trip, dealing with smt and ofsted) x