1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School violence mitigation

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by tescr, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Having read today's news (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/11793709/Bradford-school-stabbing-sentence.html) about a teacher being stabbed by a pupil, slightly concerned for the term ahead!!!

How are new teachers to respond to acts of abusive/derogatory language, threats of violence etc.?

2. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't really understand your question. You are no more likely to be attacked because of the incident you refer to (above) than if it had not happened.

You respond to any incidents of poor behaviour by following school policy. Make sure you know it inside out.

3. danlee

danlee New commenter

As long as we are educating people, and people are unpredictable, we cannot mitigate against violence. Your fear is irrational. I'm not going to stop going on holiday because of what happened in Tunisia with ISIS. I'm not going to stop teaching because a teacher has been stabbed.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Odd post. Is this a journalist looking for a story????