1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Uniform?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by HCFC, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Hi all, just a quick post to gather some ideas from more experienced Headteachers out there than myself. How do you enforce school uniform in a primary school if a small group of parents insist on breaking the guidelines set by the school? So far i have spoken to the individual parents to ascertain whether there is a financial restriction etc.. as to why their children are dressed in jeans etc.. but to no avail. I have provided spare clothing for the children to get changed into at school but again to no avail as i have been met with anger form the parents. I am feeling at a loss but determined not to back down. Any ideas or strategies that work in your school? Other than sending the children home to change which i don`t want to do and logistically in a primary school is a no go, im at a loss.

2. Hi all, just a quick post to gather some ideas from more experienced Headteachers out there than myself. How do you enforce school uniform in a primary school if a small group of parents insist on breaking the guidelines set by the school? So far i have spoken to the individual parents to ascertain whether there is a financial restriction etc.. as to why their children are dressed in jeans etc.. but to no avail. I have provided spare clothing for the children to get changed into at school but again to no avail as i have been met with anger form the parents. I am feeling at a loss but determined not to back down. Any ideas or strategies that work in your school? Other than sending the children home to change which i don`t want to do and logistically in a primary school is a no go, im at a loss.

3. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

I'll PM you, as I might risk identification.

4. Hothead60

Hothead60 New commenter

I talk to my school about rights and treats. I am head of a small school and whole school treats include things like a picnic lunch, swapping classes etc. A non-uniform day at the end of term would be a treat not a right. But we give ourselves treats for taking our responsibilities serously e.g. working hard, being kind to others, being good ambassadors for our school etc. I make it clear that everyone has to toe the line, and we all have the treat or it doesn't happen at all.