1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School uniform - what's the bottom line?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cakeshop, Oct 19, 2011.

1. If children consistently fail to adhere to a school's uniform policy, what at the end of the day can really be done about it?

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A child can be sent home to correct their uniform, but whilst this is common in secondary, I've never known it happen in primary, for obvious reasons.
    A fixed-term exclusion can also be used where repeated defiance with regards to wearing uniform is seen, but a school would be best to tread very carefully, looking into why no uniform was worn, especially where financial difficulties might be an issue. I've never known this to happen.
    It would be crazy to exclude a child for not wearing uniform, in my opinion. There are far more important things to worry about.

3. I absolutely agree with you, but where does that leave us? We can bluster all we like, but can we really do anything?

4. SleighBelle

SleighBelle Occasional commenter

Depends on what they're wearing!
    If it's trainers and not school shoes, we let it go. A number of the children in my school only have one pair of shoes.
    If it's a hoodie top or coloured/patterned t-shirt and not a school or plain, school-coloured top, we phone home and make them wear their PE kit or a lost-property-box top. Same for innappropriate trousers/skirts. Parents are, if not overwhelmingly supportive, at least begrudgingly accepting of these rules.

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

We comment on it, possibly mention it to parents, but ultimately tend to just let it go.
    Most kids wear full uniform, although most wear trainers. This is rarely even mentioned.
    We have a few serial offenders who wear little or no uniform. Given the children concerned, I don't consider it a priority.

6. Our head has told us that primary schools cannot legally enforce a uniform, they can just advise.