1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Uniform Strategies?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Emii, May 3, 2019.

1. Emii

Emii New commenter

Hi all,

I'm researching school uniform strategies as part of a focus group in my school - how different secondaries approach it when pupils are unable to afford to replace uniform, regularly lose or break uniform items, or refuse to wear the uniform according to the rules.

Would some of you mind sharing the strategies used at your school, whether you think they work, and how you would adapt the strategies if you were allowed to?

Many thanks in advance!

2. foroff2233

foroff2233 New commenter

Here's are strategy:-
    Attempt to convince them to get rid of uniform. It's a major distraction from education itself.

minnie me, FrankWolley and Dodros like this.
  3. Emii

Emii New commenter

This is what most of my research has shown. However, I need to show both sides and include working models - as one person, there's only so much I can do and if there is a better method than dishing out detentions for a missing tie, I'd be glad to hear it.

4. Dodros

Dodros Star commenter

I recall from the 1970s visiting our German twin school, where I sat in classrooms admiring the excellent rapport between teachers and students, neither of them tied to a uniform dress code. Yes, teachers have to uphold the uniform rules of the English schools where they work, but I have often thought before I retired that the time I had spent attending to students' uniforms could have been much better spent on delivering my portion of the curriculum.

5. meggyd

meggyd Senior commenter

Seriously?This is a project that some Slt person has devised for someone to do?