1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School trying to poach me before 31st Oct - HELP

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by goldentramp85, Oct 25, 2016.

1. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Speak to your head about developing your career where you are. Be aware that some academies are not good employers, which may be the case given their bullying tactics about resignation. Teaching and a baby is a hard one, go with what will make your family life best.

2. goldentramp85

goldentramp85 New commenter

Thank you all. I think I have pretty much decided to stay put. Training up a PGCE is enough responsibility. However, another pestering phonecall has just come through...

You are all so very kind and I am feeling the online teaching love (!).

3. goldentramp85

goldentramp85 New commenter

My current school is an academy as well.. if you're under-allocated you get a compulsory lunchtime duty... horrific! All the schools in the area are either in the rival school trust or are part of the trust that my current school are in. It's Shakespearean.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Try not to see them as pestering phonecalls...more that you are clearly being headhunted and so have a good reputation. This is fabulous and you need to be proud that you are so sought after. If you haven't yet given them a clear no, they will keep asking. (Pester power is very strong!)

Not all academies are terrible. I left an horrific LA primary and went to a new school in a MAT and it was utterly lovely.

Once you decide, give them a clear and positive answer, but leave the door open for the future. I would also have a chat with your current head next week, just to let them know what's been happening in case they hear it from elsewhere.

5. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Hope that's not a real picture of You in your avatar

6. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Seven years into a career is not very long in the great scheme of things and if you are good at what you do I feel sure that your career can progress well and you will be able to achieve your goals in the future. I think trying to be a part-time HoD when you have a little baby would be very challenging - challenging to be a good HoD and challenging to be a good parent. Which is it most important to be at this point in your life? Your career stretches ahead of you for another twenty five years. Don't miss those precious first five years with your little one by being too tired, stressed and absorbed in your work. You will never have that time again with this child, but you will undoubtedly have career opportunities in the future - who knows what may open up for you? I would stick with your current post if you like it, feel it is manageable and the pay is acceptable.

emerald52 and midnight_angel like this.
  7. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

There is no rush with a little one. I took time out from teaching with my kids, before returning to supply and eventually permanent pt contracts. In the grand scheme of things, I took a total of 7 years off. Within a couple of years of being back in teaching, I had many promotion opportunities so don't panic. I don't like this other school's methods and it screams to me of there being other issues. There is a lot to be said these days for staying put because you enjoy your school and job.

8. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Spot on advice. Only you can make the call, but if the timeframe is too short for you to do the due diligence now needed, then leave off.

I don't think they are pestering you. They simply need a straight answer. Via your go between there has evidently been some flirting going on here. Now is the time to be clear.

I also agree that not all academies are that bad and la schools good. Don't let it sway you

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    emerald52 likes this.
  9. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

@goldentramp85 what did you decide in the end?

Hope it all works out, whatever you do.

emerald52 and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  10. gadgetgirl123

gadgetgirl123 Occasional commenter

If they are putting THAT much pressure on you just to quit NOW so you can start in January, and not willing to wait, then I would question the ethos of the school...

I would politely thank them but decline their offer and say that you do not have adequate time to start in January, but should the position still be available with a later start date then you would be interested.

I have 10 month old twins and have returned part time, and finding it really tough! I would not want to put any more pressure on myself!

midnight_angel and emerald52 like this.