1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Trips - How do you choose your Tour Operator?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by mrfabs, Mar 11, 2012.

1. mrfabs

mrfabs New commenter

Hi,
    I work for one the main Tour Operators in UK where I look after trips to France.

I've always wondered how teachers decide which quote to choose or which tour Operator to go with?

Does the final decision is only based on price or do other factors are taken into account?
    If rates are similar, how does the decision is made?

Thank you for your comments.
    Fabien

2. mrfabs

mrfabs New commenter

Hi,
    I work for one the main Tour Operators in UK where I look after trips to France.

I've always wondered how teachers decide which quote to choose or which tour Operator to go with?

Does the final decision is only based on price or do other factors are taken into account?
    If rates are similar, how does the decision is made?

Thank you for your comments.
    Fabien

3. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

1. Suitability of the tour - location, amount of language practice , caters for the right age groups
    2. Price (though if this is too high, the suitability of the tour is irrelevant) - we generally take small groups, and find nearly all tour operators' prices way beyond what we can ask our parents to pay. This means we tend to end up with the same companies repeatedly.
    3. Their safety management - access to risk assessments etc that cut down significantly on red tape.
    4. Itinerary planning done for us (a company there should have better knowledge of what is available and how suitable it is for different age groups) & ability to prepay excursions.
    x
    x
    x
    If rates are similar, the safety issue is a big one.

Hope this helps

4. Well I can tell you that I don't choose the one that doesn't respond to my online queries, call me at pre-arranged times nor answer my subsequent emails.

Not (at all what I would call) Serviced Tremendously. Yes, that reminds me of them. Meh.....

Call me old-fashioned, but customer service still cuts a hell of a swathe with me. I am not totally swayed by price, if I think I'm getting value for money. I'd rather have an excellent trip crammed full of good stuff for £30/£40 more, than one where I'm not totally convinced it's all tied down to the last second.