1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Trips children to adult ratio?!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by topsyh, May 13, 2007.

1. Hi

I am soon to be going on a trip with 29 year 3 children. The head has said 3 adults will be enough (because when we get to our destination there will be other adults at the venue).
    Could anyone tell me how many adults I should be taking and where I find this guidance from?

Many thanks,
    Topsyh

2. Hi

I am soon to be going on a trip with 29 year 3 children. The head has said 3 adults will be enough (because when we get to our destination there will be other adults at the venue).
    Could anyone tell me how many adults I should be taking and where I find this guidance from?

Many thanks,
    Topsyh

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

The old DfEE guidance (from 1998!) suggested:
    1 adult for every 6 pupils in school years 1 to 3

However, it is up to local policy to set absolute rules, depending on the risk factor of the activity.

www.tesfaq.co.uk/visits.htm

4. The information I read on teachernet says 1:8 for this age group. Hope you have a good trip and that it goes well.

5. Dopey Dwarf

Dopey Dwarf New commenter

Our LEA states that the ratio is 1:6 for Y1 - Y3 incl. Should it be an activity that is considered more at risk, then the ratio is lowered accordingly.
    I am educational visits coordinator for our school and our LEA provides us all with an educational visits file containing loads of stuff regarding ratios, Health & Safety and risk assessments to complete.
    Check out that your LEA doesn't do/have the same.
    Good luck

6. As well, if you are taking a relative or have a relative in the group, then the ratio for YOU must be halved, because of the assumption in law that you would put the interests of the relative above the interests of other children in the group.

So if you are required to have 1:6, and one of the children in the whole group is your relative, for YOU it would be 1:3, which means another adult would be required for the class.

It's a small point that would make a big difference in a liability case.

7. i'm taking 14 Y4 children to Corfe castle and I have one TA who is a 1:1 with asperger boy so can't be counted. I have asked a parent to join us and when we get there we will be met by our link governor. Everyone assures me this is ample - do you agree?

8. We have recently had new guidance which is just that - guidance. I've just booked a trip and they recommend 1:10 for my age group(Y4), but we are only taking 3 adults for 40 children. It is apparently now down to the school to make a sensible risk assessment and as our trip is very low risk and local and we also have a guide when we get there our head is happy that 3 adults is enough. He had said that 2 would be plenty but our TA is coming with us.