1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School trips and 'Enrichment' Activities....

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Eva_Smith, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Eva_Smith

Eva_Smith Established commenter

I got to thinking today, whilst I was sitting miserably in the rain at a school trip. It involved me trekking to a theme park 2 hours away and then returning, getting back to school at 5pm. I was wondering how far this sort of thing is part of teachers' contracts and how much schools actually rely on teachers' good will to run trips like this.
    I didn't nominate myself for this trip, I was assigned it. I'd rather chew off my own arm than go to a theme park by choice. I must admit that I was rather cheesed off at getting home so late, and even more cheesed off that not one kid thanked any member of staff as they left the coach this evening (have they just come to expect that teachers will put in the extra hours; it's no longer seen as something to be grateful for?)
    Tomorrow, I'm due to head off to another trip, again and couple of hours' coach ride away and again arriving home late. I get quite travel sick on coaches and have felt sicklly and groggy all day. I really could do without another trip tomorrow. Again, it has been assigned, not volunteered for. I'd love to tell them I'm not going.
    It just got me thinking...

2. Eva_Smith

I got to thinking today, whilst I was sitting miserably in the rain at a school trip. It involved me trekking to a theme park 2 hours away and then returning, getting back to school at 5pm. I was wondering how far this sort of thing is part of teachers' contracts and how much schools actually rely on teachers' good will to run trips like this.
    I didn't nominate myself for this trip, I was assigned it. I'd rather chew off my own arm than go to a theme park by choice. I must admit that I was rather cheesed off at getting home so late, and even more cheesed off that not one kid thanked any member of staff as they left the coach this evening (have they just come to expect that teachers will put in the extra hours; it's no longer seen as something to be grateful for?)
    Tomorrow, I'm due to head off to another trip, again and couple of hours' coach ride away and again arriving home late. I get quite travel sick on coaches and have felt sicklly and groggy all day. I really could do without another trip tomorrow. Again, it has been assigned, not volunteered for. I'd love to tell them I'm not going.
    It just got me thinking...

3. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Try staying with the disgruntled kids who don't go on the trip.

4. Eva_Smith

All of our kids were involved in some activity or another. It's "Enrichment Week" during which kids can pick from a mamoth array of activities and trips to go on: bowling, ice-skating, archery, aromatherapy, yoga, nail art, making cupcakes, going to theme parks, indoor skiing, York Dungeons etc. They pay for the trips they go on, but all 'on site' activities are subsidised by local sponsors so that the kids can pay £1 per day but can do two activities, one morning, one afternoon. They are some residential trips too.
    To make it all work takes loads of organisation and loads of co-operation from staff. I'm just wondering is the school doesn't take staff rather for granted in directing them to go on 4 or 5 trips, all of which arrive back much later than the usual school day.

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

I would have thought you'd get a choice. To be directed to do so many trips seems unfair.

6. I do have to wonder just how 'enriching' some of these trips are - if you are learning something, or trying a different active sport, fair enough, but how do we justify trips to theme parks, shopping centres etc....what is the point? I am all for learning new sports, going on a historical visit, but asking parents to shell out for a jolly to a theme park....is it just me or is it a waste of time?

7. Eva_Smith

The parents don't have to shell out if they don't want to; the kids can do the 'on site' activities for just £1 per day. However I do appreciate where you are coming from.
    Basically, I'm just miffed that I have to do a lot of things that are just really unpleasant for me: like sitting for 4 hours on a bus feeling travel sick, and on one occasion I shall be waiting around in a sweltering sweaty indoor water park thingy eerrruuuggghhh! And all this for the pleasure of having my personal time encroached upon.
    Not happy.

8. At least you do not have a pile of marking at the end of the day! And were you responsible for the planning/organisation? If not you could think of having a whole week without planning. A few extra hours may be worth it. However, the school may have assumed you would be happy to do this. They will not know if you do not say.
    Personally I love being able to do a range of activities with the kids but know it's not to all tastes.

9. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

I work in a middle school, so kids are from 9-13 we took 80% of the kids to the Great Yorkshire Show last Thursday, (fully funded through school) Only a tiny fraction of the parents picking the kids up (from school) thanked us. We were back 2 hours after school had finished!

10. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I have so far managed to avoid all end of year theme park trips. I love visiting theme parks, but not with coachloads of kids in summer. During 'enrichment' programmes I used to offer a day-long local walk as an activity, knowing full well that only a few kids would choose it. Plus I was providing something cheap, healthy and cheerful for those who couldn't afford theme parks. They all went without a hitch, and I stayed sane.

When such trips were not part of an enrichment programme I simply refused to go. There's always someone else who'll volunteer instead.

11. Could you put forward your own in-school activity so you don't get allocated something you hate. Like a craft or something? Jewellery making or making hats or something like that. Or something else that you knwo how to do which could be fun.

12. Eva_Smith

All of these currently exist already! Staff were given the chance to request preferences, but mine weren't given. Priority was given to staff with children due to childcare arrangements etc. Not all parents have avoided late-finishing activities, but I do feel rather miffed that I get the short straw just because other people have children. If this really is part of my directed time, then everyone should get their equal share of it, children or not.

13. I think if it really did bother you, speak to your union who I am sure would back you up if you are asked to put in work over and above directed time.
    I have always requested not to go on long coach journeys due to severe travel sickness, and this has always been respected.

14. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I teach languages, so not a surprise really that i've done several trips abroad. What i didn't like was that as an NQT i was 'told' that the trip to France was my responsibilty and i had to organise it. I actually really enjoyed the trip when i was on it, but it was a lot of hard work organising it, and then working from about 7am Monday to 7pm Friday, plus obviously having to set all my cover work for the week, about 22 lessons. I did it about 4 times i think and never once had a thank you from a parent or child.
    I have 2 young children now so i won't be doing any trips like that for a while, but i wouldn't mind day trips, especially if i didn't have to organise them!
    I think we really should be asked if we want to do trips though, and then have a right to say no.

15. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

That's a real shame. I have always found that kids and parents did thank me after the trips I've organised, which was nice.
    Anyway, back to the original question, even though I actually like trips out whether to a theme park or elsewhere, I don't think you should have to go on more than one enrichment visit if you don't want to, particularly if you get travel sickness etc. Could you not ask someone to swap with you? There might be someone staying in school who really wants to get out and about...[​IMG]

16. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

It <u>is</u> a shame - I've had some lovely cards signed by the pupils on trips I've organised, and lots of parents say thank you when we deliver the children back safely.

17. Have a look athealthh and safety legislation, the school cannot force you to do wsomething that is detrimentalto your health so cannot force you to spend time on a coach knowing it will make you ill.
    Also if I was a parent I'm not sure I'd want a travel sick teacher responsible for my child.

18. A lot of schools seem to expect staff to give up their weekends/holidays to run residential trips...

19. blazer

blazer Star commenter

First of all you are not obliged to go on trips and cannot be directed onto them. Stand your ground and involve your union if they get uppity.

Having said that we took our leaving yr 11s to a theme park 3 weeks back and they all thanked the staff as they got off the bus.
    Thursday we have 150 kids going to the seaside, another bus full at warwick castle, Another bus full in Stratford, a bus load going swimming and dry slope skiing. 40odd at the Sea life centre and then a few more on assorted trips 10 pin bowling and to Gyms. Those that don't want to go on a trip are doing activities in school such as Indian cookery, Art or learning how to apply make up and nail varnish from professional instructors. All the staff volunteer and the trip only goes if it can be staffed by volunteers.