1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School trips and disabled students

Discussion in 'School trips' started by rosiebudd1, Jun 9, 2019.

1. rosiebudd1

rosiebudd1 New commenter

Hello,

Has anyone organised a trip for students including s student has special access/care requirements.
    I'm thinking a specially adapted coach (potentially), needing 1 to 1 care with dressing/eating etc.
    Obviously taking a member of staff for 1 to 1 care comes at a cost. Personally I dont think it is reasonable for all students to have to pay for the extra staff member, but is it acceptable that the costs are passed onto the student with the disability?
    Anyone have any experience of this?
    Thanks

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Neither acceptable nor legal. You don't say exactly what the trip is but in general if the school needs to make 'reasonable adjustments' to allow a disabled student to participate the Equality Act 2010 prohibits you making the student pay the cost of those adjustments.

From the Equality and Human Rights Commission guidance to schools:

Charging for providing reasonable adjustments

It is unlawful for a school to charge a pupil for making a reasonable adjustment in any circumstances, whatever the financial cost to the school and however the school is funded.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  3. rosiebudd1

rosiebudd1 New commenter

Thank you

4. blazer

blazer Star commenter

From my personal experiences.

Many coach companies have vehicles which are or can be adapted for disabled passengers. One of our school minibuses was also wheelchair adaptable although this meant the loss of 3 seats.
    Presumably the student will have some sort of extra funding which is intended to cover situations such as these. Assigning a staff member is just something the school has to do although on occasion we have taken the child's parent with us, adding them onto the schools list of volunteers so that insurance etc was covered. On one occasion I recall the parent brought his child on the trip in his own car thus solving all our transportation/staffing issues at a stroke. Any risk assessment written for the trip will need amendments covering specific issues around that child.

Rott Weiler likes this.