1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Trips - Adult:Child ratio - law!

Discussion in 'School trips' started by hayley1611, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am completing a law test next week at university and need to find out if there is a law about the adult:child ratio on an educational visit. Please can somebody point me in the right direction. Thanks

2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Hi Hayley As far as I am aware there is no law but there is guidance. Each Local authority will issue guidance. The ratio will depend on the age of the kids, the younger the kids the lower the ratio has to be. Fora typical year 7 trip say to a museum then a 1:15 ratio would be OK. For infants it may be 1:5. In addition the more hazardous the trip the lower the ratio. The more SEN kids the lower the ratio. An experience planner will use the guidance and also try to put some 'fat' into it by owering the ratio.

For instance I am taking a group of 11 year 9 girls up Snowdon on saturday (weather permitting). We are taking 5 staff. I would have used at least 3 for a trip like this but had an excess of volunteers (In fact I had to leave one person out as we ran out of bedrooms)!

If you pm me with an email address I will send you a pdf file which our LEA uses for guidance. There is a chapter on staff ratios plus loads of other stuff.

3. bigfatgit

bigfatgit Occasional commenter