1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Trips 101

Discussion in 'School trips' started by sabrinakat, Nov 5, 2015.

1. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I am looking into organising my first residential trip (hopefully, to Rome in October 2016 or February 2017). I will look through my own school's policies and procedures and consult with my HOD (I am a sole teacher in my subject), but looking through various websites and brochures is leaving me confused. So, I have some basic questions,which I hope more experienced teachers could advise or point me in the right direction (either here on tes or other sites).

Let's hypothetically consider that I have specific areas that I want to visit in Rome - can I mix and match, e.g. select our own itinerary? Are guides provided? To be honest, I am very familar with Rome, having studied there, so would prefer to do one or two places myself but get a guide for say, the Colosseum and the Vatican Museums, but I could do the forum and palatine, the panthenon, etc. Is that possible OR guides aren't provided?

I would prefer KS4 and KS5 only (very small group) - have others limited their trips?

I have more questions, but hope that one or two of you might help me get started.

Thanks!

2. RichardPThomas_

RichardPThomas_ New commenter

I would use a provider with LOTC quality badge, the school travel forum site is useful.

Make sure that when talking to the provider it is clear what is provided eg transport around Rome, most are flexible. But remember standards may differ from what you would expect in the uk.

sabrinakat likes this.
  3. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

SK, the company I work with since I left teaching is happy to work in just this way, if that is what the client wants.

In the last couple of years, we have had groups as small as 10 students in the Bay of Naples area; so are used to working with low numbers.

If you e-mail classics@culturetrails.co.uk with an outline of what you want, preferred dates, and likely numbers, I am sure you will find what you are looking for.

And as Richard has mentioned - all tours are LotC in terms of content and ABTA/ATOL for financial security.

sabrinakat likes this.