1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School trip to Madrid

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by Listo83, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Listo83

Listo83 New commenter

Hi,
    Has anyone spent a couple of days in Madrid on a school trip? Any hostels/cheap hotels you could recommend? A recommended itinerary perhaps?
    Many thanks!

2. Hi Listo
    Hostal Cantabrico has always been good with us: http://www.hostalcantabricomadrid.com/ It's also right next to a metro station so getting around is easy.
    How many are you taking and which age group?
    If you post your email, I can send you an itinerary and risk assessment from a previous trip to Madrid.
    pogo

3. Hi Pogo,
    I'd really appreciate the information you have on Madrid, too, if that'd be okay? My email address is stjflores@googlemail.com I lived in Madrid a few years ago and loved it, and am keen to create a trip for Year 10s to go out next year.

Thanks in advance!

4. Listo83

Listo83 New commenter

MANY thanks for this!! Funnily enough, I e-mailed Hostal Cantábrico the other day.
    I don't have exact numbers as yet, but it will probably be about 30+ secondary kids (aged 12-18). Our Exchange partners are in Pamplona so we are trying to do a pre-Exchange city break each year before we make the gruelling 6hr journey to Pamplona. Last year we flew to Barcelona 1st which was a lot easier than Madrid in terms of fun things to do. My e-mail is chris.rimmer@hotmail.co.uk
    Any advice more than welcome.
    Many, many thanks!

5. BigFrankEM

BigFrankEM Occasional commenter

Renfe quotes just over 3 hrs.

Why not let the train take the strain?

6. Listo83

Listo83 New commenter

Yes, I know what you mean BigFrank but in the two years I've been running the trip, there have been reasons why we couldn't. Year 1: we couldn't book tickets until 60 days in advance but I wanted/needed to do it earlier. Year 2: there was no direct train on a Sunday from Barcelona to Pamplona.
    In addition to this, I feel a lot more comfortable having 35 kids on a private coach than worrying about what they're getting up to on a train. May have another think about the train this year.

7. Listos & Bonsait - you both have mail :)

8. would it be possible for me to get a copy of your risk assessment as well please. I am thinking of organising a trip to Madrid for my KS4 classes in february as I already run a KS3 trip to Barcelona.

my email is sticuquejo@yahoo.co.uk

thanks

9. Listo83

Listo83 New commenter

FYI, Cantábrico is not taking bookings until June.

10. Geekie

Geekie New commenter

I really wouldn't recommend posting personal email addresses on here. You are opening yourself up to getting lots of spam mail. Best to send the other person a personal message.

11. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Lead commenter

I would not even be tempted to run a trip like this myself. If you arrive at a hotel you think you have booked and find that either they will not honour the booking at all, or that you have been bounced to another hotel on which you have no health and safety checks, you will be on your own. Flights, too, can be a nightmare if everything does not run as smoothly as it should. You might save a little money, although even that is moot, but in my opinion, you have enough hassle as a teacher without adding to it unnecessarily.