1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School trip (teacher is a parent)

Discussion in 'School trips' started by cassiaalfaro, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

I work in a public school and we run many trips throughout the year, same of them I organise and others I only help colleagues.

My daughter is a pupil here and I have been told if she goes with me to any trip I cannot be seen as a teacher but as parent, so I would not count for the ratio 1:10 (even when I am organising a trip!)

Does anyone know anything about it?

Many thanks,

Cassia

2. Never heard of this.Though it could be their policy

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

This could be 'advice' rather than a rule. I imagine that the advice comes from the fact that should an emergency situation occur you could be caught in a dilemma. Go as a parent and the school will have to find an extra member of staff. Or withdraw from the trip and let your daughter have a good time with her friends without her dad looking over her shoulder!

4. LadyPsyche

LadyPsyche New commenter

I'm in the same position - organising a residential trip abroad, and my daughter will be going. I am not allowed to go, for insurance reasons. I am also not allowed to be in the same house as my children for insurance reasons - when large interhouse events take place, preparations are led by y11 prefects, with minimal staff supervision. I have to be in a different house.
    I am currently in an independent school, but I remember the same rules applying when I worked in a state secondary. Staff were not allowed to count as staff if on the same trip as their children AND they were not allowed to travel on the same coach - most trips involved more than one. Again we were told this was an insurance issue.

5. v12

v12

I really don't see how this can be enforced.
    It might well be just a case of an over zealous approach to Risk Assessments - I would certainly argue the point if push came to shove.
    They would very quickly backtrack if one of the only and certainly one of the most willing minibus drivers were suddenly not able to run trips!

6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I have taken my child on a trip and he wasn't even a student there (a place came up at short notice which couldn't be filled). However i can see why it is not a good idea as you are in loco parentis of the kids but should a conflit of interest come up you would be in a dilema about whose interest you serve. lets say there is a fire alarm in the night. Any parent would put the safety of their child ahead of any other child yet that person also should have equal responsibility for all children on the trip.

7. misspent

misspent New commenter

I find this all really strange, I teach in Scotland though and assume we must have different rules.
    I have been on trips with both my children about 4 times both home and abroad, also several other staff have been in this position. I just carried on as a teacher with my responsibilites being for my group, my kids were in other groups and I assumed the teachers in charge were looking after them well! If an emergency occurred I would have looked after my group knowing my childs leader would look after him. So I didn't feel that I would behave in any other way. I also asked that they be on another coach so they would have more fun without having to see me.
    They only difference I found was that I was tapped for money more easily.

8. blazer

blazer Star commenter

I think we would all 'feel' that we would act professionally if our child was with us on a trip but do we really know how we would behave in an emergency situation?