1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Trip on World Kitchen topic?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cally1980, Feb 19, 2012.

1. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Ive been racking my brains but cannot think of a school trip to compliment this topic! Ive tried the Pizza Express experience day but have been told they have no budget for it which is a shame. I am going to contact some other local restaurants but need a back up plan! Its for Year 2 and the bulk of the topic is geog/D&T based with a particular focus on Mexico. We are close enough to London to travel in & ideally want a cheap trip but not an in school experience day. Any suggestions?

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Ive been racking my brains but cannot think of a school trip to compliment this topic! Ive tried the Pizza Express experience day but have been told they have no budget for it which is a shame. I am going to contact some other local restaurants but need a back up plan! Its for Year 2 and the bulk of the topic is geog/D&T based with a particular focus on Mexico. We are close enough to London to travel in & ideally want a cheap trip but not an in school experience day. Any suggestions?

3. Have you approached any supermarkets? I once took a class of nursery pupils to Asda, to taste fruits from all over the world. After looking around the store at all the different foods, we were all allowed in the staff canteen area to sample the different fruits.
    You might find the below link to FREE foods of the world resources useful;
    http://www.primarytreasurechest.com/topics/food/foods-of-the-world.html

4. bigbev

bigbev New commenter

I have spoken to Waitrose in a previous school and they did store visits. In another school the local Sainsburys distribution depot (staff really enjoyed coming in to help as was a change from their usual job) did fantastic stuff in school including bringing in tortillas etc for maxican food tasting.
    NFU also help farmers organise school trips to farms and I think the Soil Association do as well
    Hope it helps