1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Trip- History, WW2 .... HELP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by carlalmann, Dec 7, 2011.

1. Hi, I am a final year student teacher and I want to plan a school trip
    with my class to somewhere where the children can have the WW2/blitz experience.
    I am not sure where is genuinely good and I want teachers opinions of day trips
    or residential for a few days you have been on that give the children the
    complete experience. Info on any places that are fantastic and any places to
    avoid would be most helpful. We are based in Belper, Derbyshire in the Midlands, but I’m open to any
    places. Also this is my first time planning a school trip so if you have any tips for school trips I would

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

appreciate it ! [​IMG]
    Thank you
    Carla

2. Hi, I am a final year student teacher and I want to plan a school trip
    with my class to somewhere where the children can have the WW2/blitz experience.
    I am not sure where is genuinely good and I want teachers opinions of day trips
    or residential for a few days you have been on that give the children the
    complete experience. Info on any places that are fantastic and any places to
    avoid would be most helpful. We are based in Belper, Derbyshire in the Midlands, but I’m open to any
    places. Also this is my first time planning a school trip so if you have any tips for school trips I would

Normal

false
    false
    false

EN-GB
    X-NONE
    X-NONE

MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

/* Style Definitions */
    table.MsoNormalTable
    {mso-style-name:"Table Normal";
    mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
    mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
    mso-style-noshow:yes;
    mso-style-priority:99;
    mso-style-qformat:yes;
    mso-style-parent:"";
    mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt;
    mso-para-margin-top:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-right:0cm;
    mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt;
    mso-para-margin-left:0cm;
    line-height:115%;
    mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
    font-size:11.0pt;
    font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif";
    mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
    mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";
    mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast;
    mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri;
    mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

appreciate it ! [​IMG]
    Thank you
    Carla

3. Hi,

We took our two Year Six classes to a place in Malton, North Yorkshire called, Eden Camp. It really is fantastic. Take a look at the website, http://www.edencamp.co.uk/index.html. The children got so much out of it and they really enjoyed it. This is the second year our school has visited and we travel 3 hours each way to go, we feel it is worth it!
    Hope this helps a little.

:)

4. largelugs

largelugs New commenter

The Severn Valley Railway do evacuation days from Kidderminster. Children get gas mask box and get taken into the countryside in a mock evacuation. They do different days. the one i went on three years ago saw them go to a local manor house on a train, to meet the woman of the house who took them to dig on allotments, they also met a 'German pilot' who had crashed along the way Acting was suspect but a good day out.

They defiantly still do these as i saw a brochure in the staff room recently.

5. Coventry Cathedral is good for a day, not sure if that is too far?

6. Hi Thank you for all of your suggestions ! you have helped me loads !
    Carla

7. I'm a teacher based in the Midlands (Birmingham) and every year we take our Year 6s to the Imperial War Museum in London (about 2.5 hours by coach). It's a long way, but the museum - especially the 1940s house - is fantastic and it has a great Blitz experience that you can book, where the children go into an air-raid shelter and hear (and feel!) bombs dropping around them! They love it.

8. Would imagine it would be do-able but a fair trek from Belper as a day trip.
    For what it's worth, my perpetually cheap and complaining grandmother had it as one of the few places she hadn't complained was an utter rip-off over the years!

9. BoldAsBrass

BoldAsBrass New commenter

Eden Camp is fantastic - I only live just over 1 hour away, but regularly visit the surrounding area (Malton & Pickering) during the spring and summer. My son went with his Junior School last year as part of thier topic on WW2.
    We have been as a family a number of times ........ well worth a visit!

10. http://www.cannockchasedc.gov.uk/info/200070/museums_and_galleries/237/educational_guided_tours_for_school_groups/2

This is a good day out. Drama, air raid experience and an hour from you. The staff are really helpful.

11. Hello,

I realise you have probably long since found a WW2 trip but for future reference and for those of you who are looking for something similar we at the Royal Gunpowder Mills offer a 'WWII on the Home Front' programme, this is a full day (10.00am - 2.30pm) of hands on and role play activities. The day consists of four sessions; Experience an air-raid, Women in wartime, Discover rationing and Become an evacuee. Prices start from £6.50 per child (charged per class). For further information please see our website www.royalgunpowdermills.com/.../education-booking or feel free to give us a call on 01992 707370.

We look forward to hearing from you.

Anna

Royal Gunpowder Mills

12. Also for future reference for anyone interested, the RAF museum at Cosford also have a WWII experience, together with a fantastic collection of planes.

13. I was wondering if anyone has been on a similar trip but in the south east as I am currently looking for one for my year 6 class :)

14. damsonite

damsonite New commenter

We visit RAF Hendon, West London. They have excellent planes, including a Lancaster bomber, but the best part is the WW2 school experience.

Another trip would be the Imperial War Museum.