1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School taking the P.I. Double S?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by fantastischfish, Feb 22, 2016.

1. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

Evening all...need a rant before bed and my husband is sick of listening to me ha ha!

Long story so I'll give you the basics only.

Before the holidays I was "interviewed" (it was a shambles) for a post working temporarily as intervention until the exams in May. Got the job, but no-one really had any idea what my role was going to be.

Arrived to start today to find that they still didn't really know what was going on: no timetable, no information....ridiculous. School is allegedly 'outstanding'....

So in conversation with the HOD, I was asked to spend the morning working on some revision materials for year 11.

I have been refused access to a school computer, login details, internet, email, printing and photocopying, so the only option was to use my personal laptop which I luckily had with me as I needed it for later in the day and didn't want to leave it in the car all day long.

With no access to any shared drives or internet, there was no chance of using department resources to assembled revision packs. No, it seems that the HOD wants me to assemble my personal resources to be copied for every student in year 11. Ermmm....let me think about that.....how does 'Hell no!' grab you???

So, they want to pay me a supply rate and consequently no evenings, holidays or sick pay. They want to deny me access to proper resources, expecting me to bring my own laptop. They expect me to go home and then email the resources I'd like printing off (the HOD's solution) for the following day using my internet AND working in the evenings, which I'm not being paid for....and they want me to just hand over 10 years' worth of bespoke teaching resources without question?

I don't think so.

Anyone got any thoughts?

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi Eva

Firstly, I want to say you write so well, so I am sure you could get work writing for corporations or businesses. The school is blessed to find such a gifted teacher. They do sound very,very disorganised.

As you know, it is fairly easy to get out of this assignment but you may want to try to resolve matters so you still have money coming in until you organise something else. Try to remain polite, but explain that without access to the equipment and material you need, it will be difficult for you to do your work. They then have a choice: either get things organised for you or lose a skilled teacher.

At least you are in a position to have some options. Be grateful you don't have to work there full time and are on a supply contract.

I know what you mean about your husband; mine has heard thousands of hours about the horrible experiences I have had with schools/supply work.

3. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hi Eva

That sounds terrible. Perhaps they just want all your resources downloaded and then tell you goodbye. (Sorry, getting rather cynical these days).

Are you in a position to walk out?

Be very careful with your resources. Anything you produce during your time at the school is deemed to belong to the school I understand.

I hope you have big copyright signs on all your pre-existing resources.

My husband is constantly shocked by what happens in schools- "We wouldn't dare do something like that. "

Back to your situation. Leave your laptop at home. Produce some handwritten materials in school on their time. Ask for paper. Present them to the photocopying room.

Count to 10,000.

What does your agency say? Who interviewed you for the post? Is the HoD put out because they weren't consulted?

How much notice do you have to give?

Landofla likes this.
  4. pleasemiss__

pleasemiss__ Occasional commenter

Hi Eva. Your current situation sounds utterly ridiculous. I cannot believe that they are expecting you to take work home with you and to prepare resources without any access to the school's network or shared drive. If you're in the position to leave, perhaps it would be best to. This role hardly sounds suitable for a teacher of your calibre.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  5. fantastischfish

Morning all, thanks for the responses.

Deirds - no notice necessary beyond a moral one I suppose, but since I've barely really started I don't feel too bad. I'm not on a contract, just day-to-day pay and it doesn't include holidays. There is other work out there so I don't feel like I need to stick with this situation if it's going to be non-beneficial. They want it all but don't want to allow me even access to a computer? I'm not taking my personal laptop to school today.

I literally have thousands of teaching resources made throughout the years. They are not copyright marked, but technically they belong to the schools I created them for.

That said, many of them are made in the past year and belong to no-one but me. I'm sure as hell not sharing them when they can't so much as give me internet access.

6. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Hope your second day is better. I'm glad you're not letting them exploit you.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

7. rosievoice

rosievoice Star commenter

They do appear to be trying it on. This doesn't surprise me. Sit down with pen and paper during your allotted hours, produce whatever you can off the top of your head and hand it over to be typed up. If they don't appreciate that their actions in shackling you are counterproductive, then more fool them. Nobbers.

8. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

This is a difficult situation, because you have to state your position as a contracted employee of a business. Many teachers have a primary school childlike grasp of the economy and beyond going to work, getting paid and buying nice things, are pretty ignorant. Many of them also have an inflated opinion of themselves and their role. "Well, surely, as a teacher, you just work all of your holidays, evenings and get paid more than a regular teacher for the privilage".

It is unlikely you will be received well if you ask the person who is making these demands of you to sit down and have a little pep-talk about what the actual contractual arrangements, rights, responsibilities and renumeration and costs are in this deal, because the whole thing is probably beyond the grasp of their tiny mind!

On the other hand, you have your agent, who is some jumped up a$$-pipe who has no idea what you do beyond your capital-unit-creation ability. Which is to be yeah-yeahed into position and get earning those credits for the agency.

I remember students saying "Sir, why don't you get upset" and the answer was "because I don't get paid enough". You don't get paid enough either. £60? Crikey, how things have degenerated!

I would go and have a chat to "the cover lady" and outline what the score is here and how you have a major gripe with it and as her position is to liase with your agent (you are just the tool here) to get to the bottom of this **** taking fkuc up. When they pay you like a full member of staff, then you act like one.

9. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

What exactly is the contract @Eva_Smith ? Just day to day supply?

I would walk away and work elswhere - espcially since you say there is plenty of work around.

PizzoCalabro likes this.
  10. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon Occasional commenter

It will be, as 99.9% of agency supply (inc the cover supervisor version of it) is. Higher rate for extra work? Snigger! Not in our world!

11. fantastischfish

Thank you for the anger on my behalf. @elvispenhaligon my agency happily pays me quite fairly, I feel, and has never asked me to work for less than a proper qualified teacher's salary.

Didn't get chance to discuss anything today as I was directed to cover lessons for an absent teacher (work provided). However, I think a meeting has taken place and the role may be more clearly defined soon. We'll see tomorrow, hopefully.

12. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

In my opinion there could be two reasons for this situation

1) They are taking the Mick and know fully well what they are doing, One devious HoD is thinking "We are short of revision resources. I know what to do we'll hire an experienced supply for a while and then rob their ideas. We will not let them have access to our resources so they cannot rob ours, and after we have got them all we will discover that the supply is not needed anymore".

OR

2) The school is a bit dozy, outstanding means nothing outside the world of Ofsted, dozy cover manager doesn't know what intervention means so cannot understand why you need IT access. Dozy HoD doesn't realise there are no revision resources and that you are not contracted to produce some. Dozy interviewers were born that way.

This is probably the most likely reason, schools are not generally cunning but they can be a little "confused".

My solution?

1) As other posters have said you can easily walk away, supply is generally more plentiful now and up until year 11 leave (which will be about the same time your intervention work will finish)

OR

2) Do you want to stay for the regular income and perhaps a reference? Then do so and just maintain a steady drip feed of resources (don't download the lot in one go) for the period of time you are there. In reality its probably what would happen anyway for other teachers since they don't produce all their resources in one go. It shouldn't take much (if any time) outside of the school day since if you are anything like me you will have them already prepared from previous posts (or nicked from previous posts/download from the internet).

Of course you will need access to the school's IT network to download these from a memory stick since your printer has bust won't you? ;)

Think of it in fishing terms (as I do for most things) keep a steady stream of bait going, keep the fish on the feed and so keep catching them (or in your case earning a wage).

pepper5 likes this.
  13. fantastischfish

Quite frankly, I'm not prepared to let them have anything at all that I've produced throughout the past 12 years of teaching my subject if I'm not even afford a simple thing such as access to the internet and the share drive in the department (to integrate existing department resources into revision packs).

I work as a private tutor and have my own business in the local area. Whilst I don't feel that work as an intervention teacher and using my resources within lessons is a conflict with my business, it certainly is if I just give over my resources to be photocopied year after year. Especially if I'm not equally able to have copies of the school's resources.

14. fantastischfish

I should add that I've been in this school for 4 weeks already covering another full time post. I've enquired twice with the IT geeks about getting a laptop (even with limited access, which most schools seem to manage these days) but have been spoken to very rudely on both occasions.

15. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Eva

Les25paul is right: the schools sounds either confused or dozy. It will allmwork out and at least it is not a permanent post. It is a short term as well and we are half way through week 1.

Roll on Easter Break.

16. Deirds

Deirds Senior commenter

Dozy or not the school has no right to resources Eva has written previously.

On the other hand, Eva could create new resources belonging to the school in the time they give her.

I would sit at a desk handwriting them with notes such as - clip from youtube (I can't access the link because I can't access the Internet).

I don't really understand why Eva is not with the pupils who need intervention.

Here's hoping for a better third day for Eva.

17. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I agree @LesPaul59's first option: that the school is just using you to rob your resources. I got caught this way, supposedly preparing for an LT job that was cancelled the day before it was due to start. The points of similarity were that I too was denied access to the school's system and the HoD asked me to email my resources to him directly.

I wonder if you are getting paid for the cover work you are doing? I have heard of someone who was called in to do daily supply but was set to marking a backlog of course work assignments. At the end of the week, the school baulked at signing his timesheet as he 'hadn't done any teaching'.

18. fantastischfish

So we have some progress...

Went to speak to HR today. One phone call later and a laptop and password etc was arranged, so the rudeness from the IT geeks was totally unnecessary the other day.

Still haven't seen my completed timetable, but I suspect there are going to be issues.

19. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I wonder if you are getting paid for the cover work you are doing? I have heard of someone who was called in to do daily supply but was set to marking a backlog of course work assignments. At the end of the week, the school baulked at signing his timesheet as he 'hadn't done any teaching'.[/QUOTE]

I did an entire week once marking about 500 mock exam papers (I did pretty much the whole department). When I finished one pile and returned them to the teacher concerned, I'd get back to find another pile in their place. I did get paid for that, otherwise I would have burned the lot of them.

It was a strangely therepeutic week actually.

20. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Please forgive the IT geeks' rudeness. They didn't mean any offence and were unaware of giving any. Its just that they are not used to speaking to normal human beings, next time wear a pair of Mr Spock ears and they will be your best buddies.

Did they have a pinup of Princess Leia like this on their wall? :D

[​IMG]