1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School snow closures

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Margiejo, Feb 5, 2012.

1. How many of us think our schools may be closed tomorrow after the heavy snow last night.......main roads ok in my area, but smaller roads near school very icy.

Has anyone heard that their school is closed already? If so can you give indication of the area of the UK.

Thanks all!

2. I am worried about the journey - at either end tbh - the middle is usually not so bad.
    As an establishment we are under great pressure to get there if at all humanly possible.
    Shal try not to worry about it until tomorrow and see what the night brings...

3. Not heard yet but I expect it to be shut- Im on London/Kent border. Snow not bad on main rds but side roads untreated. Also expected to ice up tonight under the snow so will be treacherous. I imagine the school site will not be safe. However we shall see. Will set the alarm and get up in morning ready to work- that way if it does shut I shall have a bonus day off and the joy of getting back into bed!!![​IMG]

4. bedingfield

bedingfield New commenter

Ours never seems to close. My worry is that the roads around here haven't been treated. Today has seen snow thawing, but if it freezes tonight, then tomorrow's journey to work will be a nightmare (8 miles of mainly country roads).
    Plus I have a new car that I have never driven in snow and ice before so not sure how it will handle. At the moment I am trying not to think about it.
    Other issue is that I have playground duty tomorrow so it will be my call, whether the playground is safe or not (not a decision I want to have to make). Maybe the snow will all disappear overnight? [​IMG]

5. We've already been told we are closed tomorrow - possibly something to so with the steep road up a hill being the only access. East Kent, loads of snow on the ground here still and v v cold out there tonight. So relieved that I wont have to try and get there tomorrow.

6. most of the times whenever weather get hard governments make schools closed.

7. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Not in England they don't. Such decisions rest with the headteacher.

8. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

And as jhonlarson is in Equitorial Guinea according to his/her profile I don't suppose government closes schools because of snow there either!