1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School sites

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Denise.Phillips, May 19, 2012.

1. I am presently involved in re-designing the school website and want to know if anyone has or knows of some that are particularly good - We are a Junior school and have a learning platform, but need a public facing site that is more engaging and presents a better advert for the school than the one we have at present.
    Many thanks
    Denise

2. I had the responsibility to design a site from scratch, so went for a site which informed parents and visitors about our school, but without trying to add every single thing. We then decided on year group pages that were functional ( pix, targets and homework on them) without having to remain rigid, consistent and sterile.
    Www.paultonjuniorschool.co.uk

3. I would heartily recommend using a Content Management System rather than building HTML pages yourself. You can install them on a local webserver if you have one or host externally if that is your preference. Joomla is one of the best known and best supported. I've also seen good sites made with Wordpress and Drupal.

If you want to try a few out without any technical gubbins then have a look at http://www.opensourcecms.com/

4. jweb2k

jweb2k New commenter

Small world eckweek22, I'll be sending my son to your school in a couple of years! (I use the pool next door quite a bit too...)

5. .... And he will be very welcome! A great school if I must say so myself! I was at the pool this morning as my little boy has lessons there. Small world indeed !

Our back office programme is Wordpress which is simple and effective to use, all staff have found updating their pages really easy to do. Our site was built by Burfield Creative. They were very good.