1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School shut for polling day, expected to go to another school that day & PPA.

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by soapboxgirl, Apr 20, 2011.

1. We have also had our PPA cancelled over the next few weeks due to bank holidays etc., however we were willing to suffer this as our school is a polling station and is to be closed on 5th May. We considered this time in lew of lost PPA. However SMT have now decided that we should all go to another school that day to A) carry out pupil profile meetings and B) to shadow other teachers/TAs in the school. I understand that they can't actually take our PPA from us, but can they also make us shadow teacher in another school?

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

If you were free to treat the polling day as time in lieu of PPA (but only replacing 2 or 3 PPA weeks) that would be an acceptable compromise.
    However, if you are directed to attend another school to undertake non-PPA activities, I'd expect normal PPA to stand and those teachers who lose it because theirs is on the Bank Holiday to have it re-scheduled.

3. That seems straight forward. However, can the school direct us to go to another school to shadow their teachers and do pupil profiles?

4. Oh, and do SMT have to give you a period of notice before changing PPA time?

5. Yes
    No - but common sense should prevail!

6. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Teachers are paid for 195 days a year, and so can be directed in any way for those working days. Be careful fighting this one as 'someone' may add up the number of lessons you have 'not taught' because bank holidays, royal wedding days, timetables suspended for exams or the like and tot up that the x hours of PPA 'lost' correlates to the percentage of teaching time 'lost'.

7. This seems like another classic example of take with not much give.

8. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Re: OP - feel a migraine coming on?

9. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

They cannot work out lessons 'not taught' on Bank Holidays as Bank Holidays are not part of the 195 contracted day s; they are part of the 13 weeks not in school every year.
    They can re-direct you for the sessions of suspended timetables for exams but if they are internal exams, the teacher will be used to invigilate them. When pupils in YR10 go on Work Experience, the teachers are used to make workplace visits.
    Some schools start the following year's timetable once YR 11 go on exam leave.
    Teachers are still entitled to 10% of whatever remains of their timetable.

10. I'm primary so exam thing doesn't count. We're also expected to mark and analyse SATs papers in our PPA time (2.5hrs) per week!!!

11. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

My school is used as a polling station, but we expected staff to come in on that day and its often used for training or time to hold progress meetings.

However, we now have the opportunity to "close off" part of the school so that any one using that part of the school for voting wont come in contact with children. So now the school stops open for polling.
    I think taking away PPA is a wrong. We're not having PPA next week because there are only two teaching days, and on the second we are having a "street" party all afternoon. So fitting in a 40% PPA session for everyone in a day and half would be a nightmare.

However, it will get paid back in the next week when everyone gets full PPA plus a bit extra even though it's a 4 day week.

I'm not sure about your comment on marking/analysing the SATS papers in PPA . Doesn't the A stand for assessment? Unless you're in Y2, when I would expect some extra time off timetable.

12. Yes it does, but you can't possibly mark 30 reading, writing, spelling, mental Maths, A & B Maths papers in 2.5 hrs!

13. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

PPA isn't meant to cover the time for all of your planning, preparation and assessment tasks. That's why there is that paragraph in Pay and Conditions about 1265 hours plus the time needed to carry out tasks related to planning, preparation and assessment tasks.

14. Union said we are entitled to polling day off, as it has already been accounted for in our 194 days this calendar year. We should also get PPA that we have not been given.

15. Morninglover

Morninglover Lead commenter

Hopefully they've told your HT where to shove his/her instructions then...

16. dusty67

dusty67 New commenter

That's different to my LA then who set 195 days including the polling day. Obviously this year we have the additional 29th April off, making it 194 days. So if the school was closed for polling, then staff would still be required to work.

So, if your 194 day includes a closure for polling then you can't be directed on that day and are entitled to 60% of your usual PPA that week (assuming your closed Monday bank holiday too!) .

I'd be giving my staff a full session over the two weeks if it were me, as we'd only be in two days next week and three the next. Mind you, at least I'm consistent. The previous head to me, before PPA came in, used to give teaching staff the polling day off, but make TAs and Office staff come in!! How strange!

17. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

We have a training day on our polling day. We can work in part of the school that can be closed off.

18. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Requiring teachers to go to another school smacks of a complete lack of trust by SMT in their staff to use the time on school business whilst at home.
    Pupils can be given study leave but teachers have to be supervised on non-standard school days!

19. frustum

frustum Lead commenter

The one time I got a day off for polling day (rare in secondaries - but we had a significant count next door and sniffer dogs in all day), we had to declare what work we would be doing, but nobody checked up. (I could demonstrate I'd been working on the computer all day - it was next to an open door, and I was sunburnt on one arm only.)

20. PPA time should be timetabled and so at the same time every week. If it is to be used effectively, you need to know when it is! It is not optional and should represent at least 10% of your normal teaching timetable. Bank holidays are built in to non-teaching days - this year the number of days a teacher is expected to work is 194 days (not the usual 195 days). "Guaranteed PPA time must be timetabled and provided in blocks of half an hour or more in order to provide productive use of time " and "Guaranteed PPA time cannot be reduced or rearranged for cover or any other activities" Of course this applies only to teachers in maintained schools, who are employed under the School Teachers? Pay and Conditions
    Document. This is another thing that the new Academy Schools are free to take away from teachers if they so choose as well as the increase in the school year from 195 to 200 days which seems the norm in these new schools. The amount of trust placed in teachers over their use of PPA time varies from school to school. I worked in one school where, if your PPA time was at the end of the day, you were free to leave early but I also know of schools where the staff have to log their activities during this time. These tend to be the same schools that extend the school day for their staff by ensuring they are directed to be physically on the school premises for all of the 1265 hours of their contract. I have had to sit in a school hall for the whole of a Parents' Evening even when I have seen those scheduled to see me just to make sure that the contracted hours are completed. I have been teaching for long enough to remember when we were trusted to do our jobs and fully supported by SMT to do this. In many schools, those days are now over.