1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School response to BLM movement

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by popomumu, Jun 17, 2020.

?

Has your school committed to providing support for BAME pupils in light of the BLM movement?

Poll closed Jun 24, 2020.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

11 vote(s)
    55.0%
  3. It's in the pipeline

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  4. My school doesn't have BAME staff

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. My school doesn't have BAME pupils

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. popomumu

popomumu New commenter

The secondary school I've trained in this year has published its response to the BLM movement with a few strategies to support BAME students in the school. The initiatives hold promise if they're followed through adequately.

The school has roughly 30% BAME pupils. The initiatives include a) having a dedicated email address for students to report racist incidents; b) trying to recruit more BAME trainees; c) including racial diversity training as part of CPD; d) addressing the school curriculum to include more diversity.

Have other schools published something similar?

2. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

Our SLT have arranged a trip to the American South next summer, to surround themselves with BAME culture.

nomad, agathamorse, TheoGriff and 2 others like this.
  3. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

4. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

no. What response would you expect?

a) racist incidents are alreasdy reported, who doesn't report them?
    b) most staff are BAME
    c)what does that mean?
    d) our whole curriculum is already riddled with diversity. I was once pulled up for not teaching electric circuits in a way that made gay students feel included.

5. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Were you showing how to use a male to female coax lead?

steely1, Flanks and agathamorse like this.
  6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Fascist.

Flanks and agathamorse like this.
  7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Wouldn't Bahamas or Caribbean be more appropriate?

Probably more students with family connections there than in the American South.

Y'all agree?

8. hamcguin

hamcguin New commenter

'riddled' with diversity '? Your issues are showing...

9. jellycowfish

jellycowfish Occasional commenter

You really are vile. Reported.

ineedahaircut and catmother like this.
  10. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

I have often found your responses amusing but this is insulting. As one of the older teachers you mention and someone who worked in the old ILEA which was at the forefront of multicultural education in the 80s I suggest you reread your history of education. We were derided for what we tried to do in ILEA but I am still proud of it. And we faced the same if not greater challenges. I worked in a school attended by a great many children from Broadwater Farm and remember how we changed the school day to help them come to terms with what they had seen the day after the riots. Shame on you and your silly comments.

11. Corvuscorax

I have no issues with diversity. I have major issues with spending weeks of my summer holiday adding annotations to SOW to show where the electricity topic is made "inclusive" to gay students, vietnamese students, left handed students, female students, deaf students etc.

We once had n audit which showed our Thai students were undercheiving the most, and we had to anotate all SOWs to show how we were making them more relevant to Thai culture. We only had one Thai student, and her issue was morning sickness.

12. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Teachers shouldn't do this. Just sat 'no'. Every time nonsense like this is completed it makes it easier to coerce other teachers to do so.

agathamorse and Corvuscorax like this.
  13. Corvuscorax

I don't think you have much contact with teachers. No older teacher is likely to be "stuck in their ways" on the contrary, in order to survive to be an older teacher, you would have had to done a complete volte- face on all your "ways" eveery time the wind changes direction. You are likely to find the older teachers far more flexible, but also more likely to call BS when they recognise it. Maybe this is your issue?

I am all in facour with hving diversity among NQTs, but certainly in my recent schools, there is far more ethnic diversity among older teachers rather than younger ones

steely1, peter12171 and agathamorse like this.
  14. Corvuscorax

The single most under represented group among school staff around my area is parents.

This is a very serious deficit, as many students aspire to be parents, and yet the role models in front of them are all childless, giving the unspoken message that academics and careers are not for people who would like to raise a family.

The best way to address this massive inequality would be to make the working conditions for teachers more family friendly.

Surprisingly, I am never asked to annotate SOW to show how teaching them could be more inclusive in this way

boatie and Doitforfree like this.
  15. alex_teccy

alex_teccy Star commenter

Here aer GCSE progress 8 scores for 2018.
    As you can see Indian and Chinese children perform the best, yet they are include in the definition of BAME.
    Black African children performed marginally better than white children. Gypsy/Roma and Irish Traveller performed the worst.
    Where exactly is the problem?
    ethnicity GCSE.jpg

agathamorse and peter12171 like this.
  16. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Isn't class also a factor?

17. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Only takes so long before Corvuscorax decides to appear with a totally made up pile of livestock excrement to stir up a thread to some weird extreme ;)

Any minute now we will hear about some lawsuit relating to this topic too, which upon extensive asking and/or researching will turn out Corvuscorax can't paste links because of some secrecy agreement and it has in factnever existed anywhere anyway.

One moment, I'll go get the popcorn, my Sunday viewing has arrived!

SadieAnn84 and MsOnline like this.
  18. Flanks

Flanks Senior commenter

Personally, if I worked in a school with such a demographic profile, I would have no issue with any of this. I say well done!

At my school, our current profile is significantly disadvantaged children with way higher than average incidences of early years neglect and domestic abuse, and being rural the interconnections between many families are multiple which means that one incident can affect a surprising number of children directly. So our pastoral team training and whole school CPD shifts to reflect that need in our pupils.

It seems eminently reasonable for staff training and whole school strategies to reflect the needs of the pupils that it is serving.

SadieAnn84 likes this.
  19. hs9981

hs9981 Lead commenter

No 'class' is not a factor. It is a poisonous concept that has too much potitical weight in the UK. (Even if you live in a drug ravaged household, with only dog biscuits to eat) you can make it in the UK....(with the semi functioning/ outstanding support network), depending upon where you live.

The UK higher education system is (also) systematically strangling itself, when dealing with the rest of the world.

This has nothing to do with Brexit btw....

20. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

Class is most definitely a factor, not the only one, but most certainly plays a part. Look at the schools that send kids to Oxbridge in the south compared with the North East. Look at the Cabinet. Its too often who you know and who your parents know. When I see things about getting kids to apply to prestigious unis I wish people would realise that a family on a low income or benefits cannot even afford the ticket to the open day let alone afford a stint at a uni miles away. There are schools doing wonderful work in East London to break down barriers like Brampton. And then there is the demise of the respectable tradesman, the qualified plumber etc whom we could all trust because he was trained and had a respected business. There are so few training opportunities for kids who don't go to uni. And as for getting on the housing ladder, having a pleasant and stable home....some kids have no chance. No wonder they are out on the streets in the summer protesting.

jellycowfish and Flanks like this.