1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School report writing

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thekillers1, May 17, 2016.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

Hello all.

I'm having the task of writing school reports, like many other teachers. Yet, I want to write reports for a KS2 class against new curriculum expectations. Word banks and phrases are one thing, Although I want to use something that doesn't involve heavy amounts of copy and paste. For example, ****** has an amazing report writing bank of statements, but this involves a lot of copying and pasting unless someone knows a programme I can use to avoid copying a nd pasting those statements.

Therefore, please present the resources that have worked on the basis of time saving, avoidance of additional administration and effective choices of, e.g. Statements.

NB: avoid personal comments and opinions about report writing - complain on another forum please!

2. WolfPaul

WolfPaul New commenter

Before you begin to write your reports, try this link.

nick909 likes this.
  3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

You won't be able to use a program of your choice to write your reports for you because your school will have already decided upon the format and means of production of your reports.

4. thekillers1

5. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Why can't you write your own comments?

Jesmond12 likes this.
  6. thekillers1

You are unhelpful. Period.

7. thekillers1

No.

8. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

If you want a bank of statements, then surely you have to copy and paste onto each child's report?
    I suppose you could do an autofill type option if you seriously want all reports the same. Would you get them past the proof reading stage though?

Like nick909 I tend to just get on and write them individually as prose.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

I won't be writing loads about the objectives in the new curriculum. I may well refer to it and the increased expectations, but I don't have enough room to get that specific. I'll be telling the parents how their child is doing and maybe something to think about for next year.

I'd say it would take longer for you to do what you're wanting to than just typing them up yourself.

10. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Parents do prefer individual reports, not ones which are virtually identical to the one all the other children got. Trouble is, some schools do seem to want them standardised with lots of bland phrases. They can't frame them like the old ones: 'Simply excellent' or 'The lights are on...you get the rest'.

11. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Period?

12. bajan

bajan Occasional commenter

How long does it take everyone to write their reports?

13. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

A good eight hours, if I put my mind to it.

14. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

writing them about 8 hours, editing and changing them to meet the approval of the seemingly randomised checks in place by a variety of managers.... infinte

15. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends...
    Generally overnight on the day before they are due in (I love a deadline!)

So about 10pm until 7am, though this year I need to be done by 5.30am, so might need to start about 8pm!

Don't bother to ask about teaching on the day reports are due in.
    Private reading and colouring in are perfectly acceptable learning activities for year 3! :)