1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Refurbishment

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by thejudgesscoresarein, Jan 24, 2019.

1. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Hi everyone,

It has been on the agenda for a number of years now but after a meeting with the governors this evening, we have decided to proceed with the school refurbishment plan.
    After months of planning, the work begins on Monday and is expected to last until September 2019. Has anyone got any advice from any experiences of going through an entire school refurbishment?

We’re a two form entry primary school with around 400 pupils on roll and 35 members of staff. All the major work (electrical and roofing) is being planned in weekends, half term etc) and we plan to have the work completed in phases so that there is a not a massive disruption to classes.

The school building was built and opened in 1957 so is over 60 years old and although minor improvements have been completed over the years, we feel that it is time to ‘modernise the school’

2. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

1 very small but practical point.. We went through this about 3 years ago and like you, ours was due to finish in Sept. To safeguard any last minute hitches, I blocked 3 of the year's INSET days for the start of term so that if there were niggles, anything not ready, we had some leeway for that without children being in- and we did need them- purely to allow staff to revamp and organise their rooms after all the upheaval!

3. R13

R13 New commenter

In my experience when contractors say a room is ready - and staff might need an hour or two in order to prepare it - staff then need days to get it right.

4. thejudgesscoresarein

thejudgesscoresarein Occasional commenter

Thanks for the advice so far, we have looked at the term dates for September and initially students would be returning on Monday 2nd September, school will instead re-open for students on the 5th September to enable staff to accustom to the refurbishment.
    We aim to have the majority of classrooms renovated before the summer term, so that teachers do not have to worry about spending all their summer break in work. Over the summer, the school hall will be refurbished, along with a new roof installed, as well as new toilet blocks in all sections of the school.

5. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

Just be prepared for everything to overrun and staff to become very frustrated. Keep a watchful eye over workers so that they know deadlines are actual deadlines, not wishlists.
    Be present and friendly to workers and be clear in expectations, e.g. "I can see that this was supposed to be finished by Friday but I understand it won't be. The site manager will open up for you at 7am on Saturday so you're not behind next week don't worry". My project manager didn't know where to put himself and this was the only time they were behind schedule in the whole project as they could see I meant business.

ViolaClef likes this.