1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School providing ingredients

Discussion in 'Design and technology' started by suziQ, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Could I just ask for some comments from those of you where your school provides ingredients.
    If we were to do it what is the best way of organising it and what other costs are needed to be added to the budget - more chilled and frozen space, dry goods store and weighing out area, trollies for transporting to rooms, packaging for individual weighed out quantities, boxes/bags to take food home? Anything else?
    Do you get technicians to do the calculating and administrating orders and weighing out?
    Also does anyone ask for a voluntary contribution if they take home what they have made? Is there a lot of waste?
    Any other issues - related to the provision of ingredients? It has apparently been "advised" by DATA.
    Seems like a good idea in principle, I just want to make sure all bases are covered.

2. Does anyone out there in a state school provide all ingredients for the children for food technology lessons?

3. We used to, but we were very generously funded. That's no longer the case. This year we stopped providing for students in KS4, that will probably have to be extended to pupils in KS3 next year.
    It hasn't been too bad with KS4, they have chosen to do food and often choose what they are going to make. With KS3 can only forsee problems with kids forgetting ingredients or refusing to bring them in if we are making something they don't like the look of.

4. We will be supplying ingredients for KS3 pupils as from September
    as we have managed to secure additional funding. It will see a lot more students cooking but I
    don't think we have worked out all the kinks enough for it to run
    smoothly. We have had to create an extra
    storage space for dry good to be kept, we already had a bank of fridges
    students used to store goods they bought in.
    The idea will be that the technician’s will order the goods needed
    weekly and organise the things needed for the lessons each day but in reality I
    am not sure how our two technician’s that serve the whole department will have
    the time to do this alongside everything else they do. Will have to wait and see how we get on. </font>
    <font face="Times New Roman">We did find in the past that getting students to bring in
    cash to pay for ingredients has been more successful than getting them to bring
    in the actual food items. I think our
    parents would rather pay &pound;1 than have to go to the shop and buy things that
    they may not always use at home.</font>

5. Thanks for the info. I have got as far as costing the whole shebang out and will be seeking a meeting with our Business Manager to discuss the issues. As you say at least everyone will have the chance to cook irrespective of their poor organisation or financial status. It will also give us the chance to actively get healthy eating a higher profile as no matter how often you teach it the times they actually bring in wholemeal flours, pasta, rice etc are few and far between. Also any cake/biscuit modification always seems to be chocolate chips - if they want to continue in this vein they will have to bring them in themselves. Watch this space.....

6. Unless you are planning on getting them delivered - time & petrol to do the actual shopping - either yours (not good use) or a technician. If you have a good canteen on site you maybe able to source some ingredients through them - when will do that for special events we have found it to be not always reliable. On the + side if you have to make last minute changes to lessons you can do that. Do not under estimate the time it will take in ordering, buying, delivering, unpacking, sorting & the actual weighing out of a class set - It will almost be a full time job if you have a busy food dept like ours - I have no intentions of doing it & fortunately we have few problems of not bringing in ingredients or not bringing in the right/healthy ones - when we say no chocolate they know we mean it as the last lesson which will includes it - good luck

7. Hmmm. This is such a difficult one! Our budget as it stands would never run to a blanket offer to buy ingredients. I feel strongly that the students should provide their own whereever possible. They are so detached from reality, having to get the ingredients must surely halp them to understand what life is about and where food comes from. Cost is hardly an issue when you see the ammount they must spend on their mobiles!!!!!!!!!!! No, I think this is a crazy move, designed to ensure that spolit, spoon fed children are allowed more of the same. When are they supposed to take responsibility for their learning and themselves? Not a helpful answer, but i got hat off my chest!!!!!!!!!!

8. I have just started doing food and after doing some costings realised that I could do a compromise. I ask for VC's from parents and agree with them to supply some ingredients such as dry food stuff and food where it makes more sense for me to provide and they supply fresh foods that I cannot store easily. It seems to be working at KS3. At KS4 i will expect pupils to provide their own ingredients except on occasions where we all do the same thing. In that case I send a note home explaining what we are doing with a simple cost breakdown and ask for pupils to bring money to cover ingredients. My TA deals with collecting money as much as possible. Doing a cost breakdown allows parents to see what the money is for and that they are being given a fair price.