1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School Productions?!!!!!

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by teachur, Apr 1, 2008.

1. I agree - I want them all to have a part!

It breaks my heart have to tell the really keen and committed ones that they dont have a part (well a real decent one)

Should have seen some of my girlies faces today when they looked on the call back sheet!
    Mondo guilt hit in.

2. I know there's a boy who's been little parts the past 4 years and wants to be mike teavee but is just a terrible actor bless him. poor love

3. If that boy was in my group I'd probably GIVE him the part of Mike Teevee. If he has ben a loyal and dedicated member for four years then he deserves a chance, to show him that persistence DOES pay off and that hard work and motivation and being a team player IS important.

The quality of the kids' acting skills is, to me, WAY DOWN the list when compared to the quality of the experience that they get. Who cares if the final performance isn't West End standard? The opportunity you've given that kid is far more important than whether or not he's the next Marlon Brando.

Just my tuppenceworth, however....:)

4. Oh I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment of that, but unfortunately he is just terrible, apart from anything else I would be setting him up for failure as he would never be able to cope with learning all those lines apart from anything else. I know I sound like a cow, but really can't find the words to explain how bad he is.

5. Just wanted to say - I did Charlie and the chocolate factory a few years ago, and I got loads of free ***** Wonka bars from Nestle which we gave out to the audience at the beginning of the show. Might be worth contacting them? It might have helped that we have a Nestle factory right next to the school! lol.
    I'm afraid I can't remember the contact, as it was a while ago now, but it might be worth trying!
    Good luck, it's a great play.

6. Thanks for that I will definitely contact them.

Jodie

7. I have found these a fantastic way to increase the profile of drama within the school. More dept are startig to help now whih is fab and kids have got involved in the set building and backstage than ever before.

I ahve found that the kids who do the shows suddenly develop a much greater confidence and this really helps with exam work. I think the bonus is that they're not getting graded or heavily critiqued so they just let themselves go and enjoy the experience. This has really had a big impact on several kids I've taught in recent years.

Plus I love them, they love them and it's just a fab way to enjoy drama and performing!

8. Please can someone help me! I'm doing auditions Joseph in a primary school, how shall i structure the auditions?do i give them a script and a song? or shall i let them sing what they like??

9. We gave ours a choice of two short monologues - which they collected and became familiar with weeks prior to the audition date.

The could sing anything they liked (but with backing track) you'd be amazed how many kids sound great without a backing track - but when they have to pitch it - EUGH!

for those who we wanted a call back - they got given a scene from the show - again just to familiarise - and they had to prepare a song (verse and chorus) from the show as well.

simple - sweet - and no stress!

hope that helps?

10. Thank you so much thathas really helped! It's my NQT year, there isjust so much to do! I want to do it, i just can't wait until it's the final night!!

11. Just to let you know the boy I mentioned before is ecstatic to be Grandpa George because it's a very important role !!

12. fudgeface

fudgeface Occasional commenter

I've just finished directing 40 kids in a production of Wizard of Oz. We had about 14 weeks from first launching the idea to the first performance.

It was an exhausting and sometimes really stressful experience - but nothing will take away my pride on the last night when the cast turned out an almost faultless performance, managing to make me laugh at the funny bits even though I knew what was coming.

They were a "disparate" bunch - but they bonded and have been supportive of each other. Monday morning I was met with several students asking "What are we going to do next miss?" I fancy Grimm Tales. Has any one done it? I want to do something a bit unusual.

My big regret about the whole thing? That not many teachers came to see members of their form do something amazing, that they weren't supported by our huge senior team. The HT was there though and loved it.

Good luck to anyone in the throes of a production - keep smiling. I found it a useful technique (bribe) to have a star cast member for each rehearsal and gave them chocolate for things like punctuality, commitment, going that extra mile etc

fudgeface

My

13. There is a new school leavers' musical out this year, 2011, called Best Friends Forever with some really nice tunes, especially the title song. It has a lovely storyline to it as well.

www.childrensmusictheatre.com

14. I think the audition is a vital part in the production process.
    It's your first glance at seeing the stage presence that a student brings.

Yes you know the students who will do something wonderful, and make you feel comfortable watching them, but then it's always the moment when the quiet student walks in, performs and you suddenly realise they they have put a 'spanner in the works' and things get interesting.

Some of our students audition, but do not want the main role.

The auditions get the ball rolling, students talking about what they will sing. It's a big marketing tool for the show itself.

15. I agree with bplanky. I think if you don't audition you never tap into any undiscovered talent. Plus, there might be some kids who don't do drama who want to be involved who would never get the chance. I have definitely been surprised at audition and would never have given some of the biggest roles (Scaramouche in WWRY for one) to the people we ended up giving them to. Some kids respond really well in an audition situation and really show you something that you haven't seen before. Our kids seem to enjoy the auditioning experience as well, they don't seem to find it too stressful at all. I also think it gives the whole thing a sense of fairness. Everyone has had the same opportunity to be seen and to try out for the big roles. Then you can honestly say that, out fo those who auditioned, the best person got the role.