1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School pressures 'making pupils suicidal’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Apr 11, 2018.

1. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Established commenter

It's always nice to get a lecture on the "UK education system" from someone who doesn't even know the basics.

needabreak and ah3069 like this.
  2. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Lead commenter

The MAJOR problems with England's STATE education systems at the moment are ideological political interference and incompetence, school management's fear of their own masters, league tables, which don't allow for social backgrounds or catchment, Austerity cuts to school budgets and household incomes for many poorer homes.
    Anything else is probably as a result of, or compounded by the above, ideology, propaganda and smokescreens or just plain ******.
    IMHO

eljefeb90 likes this.
  3. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Like the fact that the UK doesn't have an education system. It has four education systems, one of which has a completely different system of exams that Getling has never taught or tutored but still somehow feels able to comment on. And when he gets called out on this he goes selectively blind.

koopatroopa likes this.
  4. kurtisbrase

kurtisbrase New commenter

Today it is a huge problem! As a former student, I know how difficult it is to cope with all the tasks that are given in school. Also, some teachers bring students to depression and nervous breakdowns.

Reducing the load is necessary! I coped with the overtasking using the student help platforms, and I remember one of them [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions], maybe someone could need it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 13, 2018
  5. pwc9000

pwc9000 New commenter

David Getling you seriously do not have a clue. You are so far removed from the reality of the lives of the children I teach. I suspect that even if I showed you first hand the mental health issues that exist through no fault of the children themselves you would still not change your view, you would rather stay in your bubble.

6. SparkMaths

SparkMaths New commenter

This is quite harsh. I imagine that the mental health issues are manifesting when a student is under pressure to perform to a standard they have not been equipped to reach.

Most students are going to thirve in the scenario you describe if they have had excellent teaching and support at home for their entire schooling. I'm not sure how typical that is though.

I certaintly didn't have the home life or school quality to reach that standard, I was surprised to find out in a CPD session a few years ago that based on my Y6 SATs I should have gone to a Russel Group university. I didn't.