1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School pressures 'making pupils suicidal’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Apr 11, 2018.

1. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was actually very close to a teacher who did in fact commit suicide because of what was going on in school. I had no idea she was so unhappy and it took me a long time to get over it.

I can remember the meeting when the head told us she had died as if it was yesterday.

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I was going to 'like' this post, but then realised that's hardly appropriate. What a terrible situation for all concerned.

eljefeb90, needabreak and Mrsmumbles like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It was a horrible day Frank, we found out about 8 am and then we all had to teach that day as well.

Eventually we found out what was really going on and the part one person in particular had played to make her feel so unhappy. I never spoke to that person again.

Such a waste - she was only 23 years old.

4. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Meeeow!

5. Mrsmumbles

I thought they were saying that the IB cost more? I’ve taught A level and seen IB taught as well. The IB looked more interesting and broader with the chance to make wider connections and undertake more in depth study. I personally thought that the staff worked far harder topping and tailing all the IB admin that their A level counterparts, if anything. And having to deliver the IB AND A level in the same subject was exhausting for staff. But I felt that weaker students actually did better on the IB than the A level. They obviously enjoyed its ‘otherness’ and had great teachers!

needabreak likes this.
  6. Mrsmumbles

Interesting. Still stumped. I thought some of the English tasks we’re else’s rigorous, but other bits were really innovative. But my brain is hardwired to A level ‘three in depth’ thinking. We were never offered anything as exotic as IB. Isn't it hard and lots of extra admin to deliver IB and A level in the same subject?

needabreak likes this.
  7. Mrsmumbles

Liking seems the wrong icon, but.. yes. It’s an unreported national disgrace. And all the thousands who have been badly damaged by it..heart, skin, mental health damage. Not nice.

8. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I too read the constant criticism of State school teachers and students by this poster and wonder why they aren't content to keep taking in the ££££'s spent on his tuition due to alledged poor classroom practice... which incidentally he seems to have avoided experiencing for some time. I do wonder if this is part of an advertising campaign to boost the desire for tuition or is it simply sour grapes that surface out of his inability to perform well in a State school classroom?

If genuinely concerned about teaching and learning in the State sector surely one would want to get involved and attempt to improve the situation, rather than post negative comments here further disheartening those who attempt to do just that.

9. FrankWolley

I'm really lucky I never went through anything like this. That is just awful.

10. FrankWolley

Yes, I'm sure it was. It only worked in that school due to the size of the Sixth Form. Some teachers taught only A level, others only IB. I think (it's a while ago that I was there) that only a few taught both.

11. circuskevin

circuskevin Occasional commenter

Hi David,

Feel free to ring for a chat anytime.

Whenever you are in Birmingham you are welcome to drop by.

If you are really lucky I may be able to introduce you to one of my 'unicycling hooligans'!

Kevin

phlogiston and ah3069 like this.
  12. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

This is my favourite...

ah3069 likes this.
  13. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

The first step in fixing anything is acknowledging that it is broken. But most parents and teachers resolutely bury their heads in the sand and refuse to accept that the UK education system is badly broken, with lazy, disruptive kids and a great many incompetent teachers. Of course, the latter deeply resent me pointing this out.

14. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

Please point out this first hand evidence you refer to. Yet again, as you say, by not buying my head in the sand, you have never worked in a UK school, how can you make these bold statements. Putting text in bold does not make it more impactful. Maybe I am, as you refer to, one of the latter, but again, please point out your evidence for this Mr Getling.

I look forward to your deeply meaningful, non controversial and obviously politically correct response.

phlogiston and needabreak like this.
  15. needabreak

If you are a teacher or parent then don't just point it out repetitively here go and do something to improve it... else your "efforts" are futile.

phlogiston and ah3069 like this.
  16. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Funny that...

ah3069 likes this.
  17. needabreak

Interestingly anyone who reads these boards will know that far from burying heads teachers are dealing with the challenges the education system has created every day... quite different to criticism by someone who appears to either have failed in that working environment or who has no experience of it while appearing resolutely disinclined to want participate in it in order to improve it. Walk in those shoes then let us know your views... or continue to sit back and point out perceived faults here and change little. *Yawn.

phlogiston, ah3069 and Pomza like this.
  18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

To be fair, this advice would be rather apt for more than one poster...

needabreak likes this.
  19. needabreak

I dont really pay much attention to posters backgrounds on here so would assume most are or have been teachers, but for DG's self promotion I wouldn't know his background either.

Pomza and ah3069 like this.
  20. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

He obviously needs to develop his PR strategy...;)

needabreak likes this.