1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School pressures 'making pupils suicidal’

Discussion in 'Education news' started by David Getling, Apr 11, 2018.

1. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

I'm really sick of hearing how much pressure our spoilt, mollycoddled UK students are under. I've taught in several I.B. Diploma schools. These students have to do the equivalent of 6 A-levels, 3 of which are tough. In addition they have to undertake several other demanding tasks, such as an extended essay. AND, most of them are studying in English, even though it isn't their mother tongue. For these kids I have great admiration.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

2. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

To be honest, you could them a run for their money yourself.

3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Mr Angry strikes again.

needabreak, nomad and Pomza like this.
  4. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

The IB is studied in some UK schools, both state & independent...

5. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Occasional commenter

;)

6. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

Nothing but positive regard for the youths of today!

I would love to know how your mind works David, you strike me as someone who will write a lot of complaint letters to the council and so forth.

7. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Let's first of all remind ourselves that most kids in the UK do not get suicidal, nor do they whine any more than teenagers have grumbled about their lot since at least when I was in my teens.
    Let's also remember the reports I've read (but can't cite this instant) of kids in high pressure environments in the Far East commiting suicide if they feel like failures.
    I don't know whether you've ever actually met any genuinely suicidal kids. I have. I've also met their parents. It isn't funny, they aren't contemptible and actually they're most definitely not the spoilt and mollycoddled ones (who tend to do all right).
    This thread is offensive and I'm going to request that it's pulled.

My house is the igloo with snowdrifts outside if you want to have a discussion about it.

8. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Why can't you just disagree with the poster, or ignore all altogether if you so wish? Why are so many on tes so keen to censor the views of others?

The OP is probably talking nonsense of course, but is just expressing an opinion. I don't think their comments are really offensive either (just ludicrous, which is in line with their normal posting activity!).

9. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Established commenter

Yet more reasons to be glad that Getling doesn't teach in a school.

The level of stress and pressure is not related to the difficulty of the work but how it is organised and managed. In the UK we're in the habit of pinning everything on high-stakes exams and not giving students the emotional education to cope with it. Students are constantly told how important the exams are and how vital it is for their future that they do well and so on. It's no wonder that some struggle to cope with it.

10. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

Sorry, suicide is a particularly sore and very emotional point for me at the moment.

11. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I'm very sorry to hear that @phlogiston

needabreak, border_walker and nomad like this.
  12. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I think the thread says a lot about the OP, nothing we didn't already know, but stills says much about his DM view of England.

But I think the thread title needs changing. It is offensive to link suicide to whinging.

13. David Getling

Funny you should mention that. There's a state school near me that thinks very highly of itself. Yet it gave up its attempt to teach I.B. Diploma relatively quickly. The excuse being that there was no demand for it in Enfield. I expect there's an element of truth in this, and that most of it's very spoilt kids didn't have the moral fibre to put in the required effort. But having seen the relatively poor teaching at this school I suspect that most of the teachers weren't good enough to deliver this more demanding curriculum.

14. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How can you have "seen" the teaching at this school ? - you are neither a teacher or a parent.

...and your last sentence is disgraceful......as are you.

ridleyrumpus, needabreak and ah3069 like this.
  15. FrankWolley

It is also more expensive to put on than A Level (staffing and registration) - and any school would have to consider whether the outcome they are measured by (position in League Tables, % of Y13 going to University etc) would be enhanced or not by switching to the IB.

Having a pretty good understanding of the IB, I'm not convinced it is, actually, THE answer. It's not just about pupils working hard, either.

My two children both went to (different) State schools. Both did A levels. Both went to Russell Group Universities. Both got 1st Class degrees. Both won prizes at University. Yet my son could have aced the IB as he was/is a good all rounder, but my daughter would have struggled (as would I) as her skills are more focused on a narrower range, basically within the arts/humanities/social sciences.

needabreak, Mrsmumbles and Mr_Frosty like this.
  16. moscowbore

moscowbore Occasional commenter

Not sure I agree that A levels are more expensive. All IB teachers must attend IB training and schools must offer a complete range of courses at 6th form.
    I liked the holistic approach of the IB and I feel it is a better preparation for life than A levels. However, less able students really struggle under the demands of the IB. There is a level of commitment required by the IB which a lot of students who have grown up in English schools will struggle with.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  17. FrankWolley

Well, about 25 years ago the forward looking large comprehensive I worked at got me to investigate the IB as they were considering introducing it (alongside A levels). I attended a taster day and later a three day residential for schools considering it. I produced a plan showing what was needed, but it didn't go through due to the cost. And I understood why.

FWIW The very successful state school I later worked at which did offer it (alongside A levels) was a grammar school (so selective) which also selected more for the Sixth Form - it had an enormous Sixth Form (over 400 from memory). The IB worked well there, but wasn't suitable for all the students.

18. David Getling

This is precisely my point about so many UK kids. They have grown up (or rather haven't) spoilt and mollycoddled.

Frank, I do understand your statement about good all rounders. However, once again, often the good all rounder is the student who is prepared to put in the effort in subjects that don't appeal to him/her. I would have hated being forced to do anything other than maths, chemistry and physics, BUT I was fully capable of excelling at other subjects. However, at 16 I was just too lazy and immature: being forced to get a very good I.B. would have been good for me.

19. ah3069

ah3069 Occasional commenter

I would also like to query how you have seen the teaching at this school. I know that you would not be invited into school to spread your cheery demeanour. I suspect, that if there is any truth in this you have heard this second hand from a pupil. Children are fickle, if they do not get on with the teacher they are regarded as a bad teacher, regardless of their teaching ability.

I think your statements about teachers not being good enough to deliver a curriculum are unfounded, as no matter what you say, you have never worked in a British secondary school (I am not counting your PGCE, which is almost as old as me David). Please either respond in your usual manners, in case you need prompting they are below:

-Bleeding heart liberal
    -Too young to understand
    -An tangential anecdote about a conversation you have had in the distant past
    -Blame SLT
    -Say something else insulting about children / parents
    -Your unquestionable superiority

needabreak likes this.
  20. Jolly_Roger12

Jolly_Roger12 Occasional commenter

I do not know about students being lead to suicide by the pressures of modern school life but I have known one or two teachers who have be driven near to it!

Mrsmumbles and FrankWolley like this.