1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School policies - how many?

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by katycustard, Mar 22, 2011.

1. katycustard

katycustard Occasional commenter

I did have paragraphs and spacing in the above text before I pressed 'post', honestly!

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. katycustard

Thanks very much Nomad.

4. My curriculum subject policies are 2 sides of A4 and cross reference to other key policies which are slightly longer - e.g. SEN, equal opps.
    Premises and Health and Safety policies such as Asbestos, etc are longer but we usually choose to adopt the County policies which cover everything and make everyone's responsibilties clear and don't write them ourselves.

5. ScienceGuy

ScienceGuy Occasional commenter

On arriving at my first school I was given the school handbook which was a thick A4 binder. At the back was around an inch deep set of policies. The only one I ever fully read was the first - the policy for writing policies.
    As the previous poster said, short simple policies are the best as they are easily understood and this makes them much more likely to be followed by all members of staff

6. greta444

greta444 New commenter

How about a 'teaching and learning' policy? This covers all subject areas. marking, assessment, S.E.N Gand T and whatever else you want to put in it. Has saved us a lot of paper and time.

7. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Have sent you some information on what is called the "Two Team Model". Only two regular committees.

8. katycustard

Once again, thank you very much Nomad.

9. Don't believe anyone who tells you they know the number of policies their school has, let alone the content of the vast majority of them. The last time I asked my staff their answers ranged from 30 to over 200. I admitted to them that I didn't know either and we all felt a lot better.
    My advice would be to have a look at the statutory list (see above) and then make a list in order of priority for review. Many policies can be combined to reduce the overall number.
    Don't lose any sleep over it though- nobody ever reads them (with the possible exception of keener governor committee members), and Ofsted are far more concerned these days with what is actually happening, and outcomes, than what is written in policies.
    There are a few important policies that need time spent on them- but the vast majority aren't worth putting your specs on for.