1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School play - The Sound of Music

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by amtelford, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Please help! I've been tasked with directing our school play this year (despite having absolutely no drama experience!) which is going to be The Sound of Music. However I'm having difficulty getting a copy of a stage version of the script. I've already tried Samuel French in London but haven't had any success. Can anyone recommend a good website/shop that does proper scripts or I can get a copy of the musical? Also any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

2. netmum

netmum New commenter

You need to apply for a licence from Josef Weinberger who hold the rights.
    www.josef-weinberger.com
    You then have to hire the scripts and scores from them.
    Becasue of the current tour it is restricted. Schools can still perform it but there are publicity restrictions. Other groups can only apply to perform it after January 2012

3. You are the third person I have heard about in the last ten days who, despite having no experience, has been asked to take charge of the school production. It's almost as though Heads are seeing it as a professional Development Opportunity. Presumably they don't apply the same logic to the school accountant's role.
    It is with the Rodgers and Hammerstein Organis(z)ation (as far as I know French doesn't do musicals).
    Advice - same as I would give someone asking for some tips on making their first nuclear bomb never having studied sceince - don't. They can't make you.

4. netmum

netmum New commenter

The link resources4drama hasgiven is for licensing the show in the US. In the UK you need to go through Josef Weinberger.
    Incidentally Samuel French do some musicals, not as many as Weinberger & Musiscope but they hold the rights to several musicals.

5. LOL! Thanks for the advice! I'll check out the recommended websites. I teach in an international school in Africa so we don't have the resources to put on a full scale production but we do have a new drama teacher arriving in September who does have professional directing experience. I'm planning to demote myself to assistant. Thanks again!

6. netmum

netmum New commenter

As you are i Africa I would reccomened you following gthe link to the Rogers & Hammerstein foundation and sending them an email enquiry to ask.
    But it may be useful to inform your head that to put on a production of a musical you have to apply for permission, you can;t just buy a script and put it on. You generally have to perform with a live orchestra (backing tracks not allowed) and can't makeany changes to the script.
    To be honest if I were you I would perhaps look into performing one the shorter specially adapted GTK (Getting to Know) versions of a differnent musical. They come as a showkit with backing tracks and an educational guide Oklahoma & The King & I are available.

7. dande

dande New commenter

Why would you chose to do a show when you have not seen the score of libretto first? SofM is, in my opinion, very tricky in terms of the music. (Although my knowledge of music is next to nothing!) It is also very long and there are some songs that are separate to the main score.
    Furthermore, the rights for this show are not cheap. Including hire fees, we sent about a grand a couple of years ago.