1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school placements whilst on PGDE course

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by klr1, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Hi
    I start the PGDE course in August and wondered if anyone can tell me from their own experience whats expected of us on placement. Is there another teacher with me at all times? Are they assessing me? How easy is it to take over someone elses class? Does the other teacher give advice as I go along or are they only there to observe? Any other info greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Hi
    I start the PGDE course in August and wondered if anyone can tell me from their own experience whats expected of us on placement. Is there another teacher with me at all times? Are they assessing me? How easy is it to take over someone elses class? Does the other teacher give advice as I go along or are they only there to observe? Any other info greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

3. daisy_chain

daisy_chain New commenter

It's been a few years since I was a student but I hope I can help!
    Initially the teacher will be in the class when you teach but eventually they will probably leave you to it when they see you are managing fine.
    Are they assessing you? Constantly! No one expects you to be perfect but all eyes are on you! You will be watched, evaluated, discussed with other teachers (not in a bitching way - hopefully - but teachers do talk to each other!) but you should also get lots of feedback and advice from the teacher. It is the teacher who decides pass/fail from the school so it is crucial to build a positive relationship from day one. Get stuck in and show you are keen!
    It is not easy to take over someone's class. At all. You need to take lots of notes, especially about classroom rules and routines.
    Expect to work from dusk till dawn and then some! Students who put in lots of hard work and effort might not get a medal, but students who are seen as slackers will not be welcomed! The PGDE is a hard slog so be prepared to jump through every hoop and don't complain/moan. Our school recently had a very poor student who was very unprofessional, lazy and complained all the time to other staff members [​IMG]. She failed the placement.
    Oh and in the staffroom always wait until you are offered a biscuit, even if they are out on the table.
    Good luck and enjoy!

4. It won't be a 'class of your own'. You will be closely supervised (I would hope!) and given lots of guidance and support from the class teacher (again, I would hope!).
    I have a student at the moment and I will stay in the classroom during her first few lessons; pretending to get on with work at my desk and staying out of the way. Once I am confident in her ability to control the class I'll work in the open area, within earshot, popping in and out occassionally.
    The PGDE is daunting. You are thrown into the deep end but if you are hard-working and willing to ask for and listen carefully to advice then you will survive! You will feel better once you have started and have met your fellow students all of whom will have the same worries and fears.
    Good luck

5. Hi, thanks
    Thats what I meant by class of my own - another teacher is there, but its up to me to do the teaching, after only a few weeks at Uni. As you state you will be "staying out of the way". Its just all a bit scary. Like you say, it will be much better when I get started. Its exciting, but daunting all at the same time.
    Do we learn in a year what the BEd learn in 4 years?

Kathryn

6. Kathryn,
    Try not to worry. Remember, you will not be expected to teach full lessons on the first day. You will begin by observing the class teacher, working with small groups and doing short inputs with the whole class, building up to teaching whole lessons and by the end of your first placement full days. Your teacher (hopefully!) will give you lots of support and guidance. At the moment I have a student and we are sitting after school and talking about how the day went and planning what she will do next.
    I did the PGDE and it was a really tough but rewarding year. At the end of the course I felt ready(except for the odd panic . . .) to take my probationary class but I knew I still had a lot to learn. Teachers who have done a B.Ed have had more opportunites to observe and reflect in different school and more time to develop their teaching style and their own confidence. From my experience I would say they are more confident in their abilities going into the probabtionary year. Personally, after a few years in teaching I don't think it matters who did what and I don't think you would be able to identify which of my colleagues have done a PGDE and which have done a B.Ed.
    Do some reading, watch some videos of lessons on Teacher's TV, try to get into schools to observe / volunteer if you can and most of all enjoy your free time before you begin!
    Good luck!