1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School performance

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by hosyin, Feb 20, 2016.

1. hosyin

hosyin New commenter

Hi,
    I am an English teacher in a high school. Currently we have no provision for drama. For years I have wanted to run a performance, but I really have no idea where to start. I have been put-off doing this by other colleagues in the past, but having just seen an amazing performance, I am inspired and I am determined to try again.
    I know there are lots of colleagues from different departments who would get involved, and some of the students are desperate to perform.
    I think my HT would be happy to do this, but I would like to have a plan and do my research before I speak to her.
    I think what I am asking for help with is:
    • Is there a production that teachers tackle as their 1st one?
    • What are the challenges I need to be prepared for?
    As you can see, I really am starting from scratch. My PGCE is also in Drama, so I feel I have some skills to teach, but I am lacking in all other areas of putting on a performance!

I think maybe my first step is to speak to HT, then ask if any staff would be involved, then see if there are any skills we have as a collective?

Please feel free to comment!
    Thanks for reading.

2. circuskevin

circuskevin Established commenter

Have you any local theatres you could ask for help?

I believe theatres are quite keen to develop school connections.

Kevin

3. englishteach101

englishteach101 Occasional commenter

The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe is a good one to start with as you can always argue that it's linked to English..... :) The rights are cheap (I did it last year) as they're linked to audience numbers and it's not a new text. The costumes are also much easier to do (I always begin with asking staff what they've got knocking around at home awaiting being taken to the charity shop) and you soon get a pile of clothes you can do something with. PM me if you're interested as I've got tickets/posters etc. that I designed that I could send you if you like.

Other than that, how about a pantomime or a review style performance where students are involved in shorter sections (also easier to pull acts if not up to scratch rather than rectifying a whole show).

You need to think about helpers on the night, budget (if available- I've never been given one!?!), calendar, rehearsal times, costs of photocopying/costumes/props etc.

4. Mazod

Mazod Occasional commenter

I'm an English teacher and am putting on a performance of the schools' version of A Midsummer Nights Dream with some colleagues. Again, we teach it in English so it's relevant and the kids are really enjoying it.