1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

school organisation is a shambles!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by robzero, Sep 19, 2015.

1. I've recently started my first headship, and 3 weeks in I'm struggling with whole school organisation. We are a large, 2 form entry primary school, and half the time, the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. There are 3 shared office diaries which some use and some don't. TAs hardly ever check their email, and timetables for shared resources are not respected. There is no central overview of what's happening in school at any point in time. Weekly diary meetings on Monday morning have helped but take up a lot of time. I've looked at using an online calendar but it would be far too complicated for some of my support staff. Help!

2. welshwales

welshwales Occasional commenter

Hi RobZero,
    Sounds v similar to my situation when I took over in my first headship just a few years ago, also in a large 2 form entry primary. If you want to PM me I can give you some hints to help, processes to alleviate some of those issues..

3. Keighleigh

Keighleigh New commenter

You sound as though you have the answers! Organise it your way as the new Head. They will probably appreciate effective communication. Good luck!

4. mumbobumbo

mumbobumbo New commenter

A couple of ideas -
    One diary in a central place (staffroom?) with an overview of that week typed up and put alongside the diary and a copy also in the office.
    Diary dates on a Friday morning (with continental breakfast to encourage more people (TAs) to attend) rather than a Monday morning.
    ICT support help staff set up work email on their phones if they wish.
    Text messages for staff for important messages.
    Be honest with how you are finding the communication systems and ask for ideas from the shop floor.

5. DeputyDawg11

DeputyDawg11 New commenter

I had the same issue when I took up my post a couple of years ago. I'm a Head in Kent have we have a system called KLZ not sure what other counties use. It has our email and electronic calendar in one place. Very easy to use. All our governors use it too and it syncs the governor calendar and school calendar automatically.
    We also have a whiteboard in the staffroom with the days divided and my DHT fills it in on the Friday for the next week with all events/meetings added.

6. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

We have briefings on a Monday, Wednesday and Fridays to go through diary dates and other issues. All staff including TAs attend.

7. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

Then get someone to show them. It shouldn't be beyond the wit of any employed adult as far as I'm concerned.

Schoolcoachguru likes this.
  8. Schoolcoachguru

Schoolcoachguru New commenter

This Head had a very similar situation & talks about how she got around it & made staff more independent in the process. - Watch the video clip of Cori Bateman from [21:21]
    >> http://www.coachinginschools.com/impact/case-studies/

Hope that helps :)

It's also worth getting standard operating procedures (including accessing an online diary) documented & agreed so that ANYONE & EVERYONE can follow them!

9. Marshall

Marshall Star commenter

We use an online calendar - it took a while at first but no problems now. Set it up, give them the details and tell them it what will happen from now on. End of