1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School orders boy with dreadlocks to cut hair or face suspension.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 15, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I would agree with you if it was not linked to religion.

2. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

By children in schools - yes.

needabreak and nomad like this.
  3. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

The school my older grandsons go to, where my daughter and SiL also went, is strict on behaviour and uniform but also manages to encourage individuality while maintaining high academic standards. It is possible.

sparkleghirl likes this.
  4. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

What would they be?

I'm with France on this.

5. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Quite right. Darned Nazis. The sooner beards and sandals are introduced into our schools(for those who prefer not to wear dreadlocks) the better for all of us.

6. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

I don't know what you are talking about.

7. delmamerchant

OK. Hair is a tough one s it is not something that you can remove.

8. delmamerchant

There is satire in this response somewhere but I cannot spot it.

9. delmamerchant

I totally agree with you, I also am with France on this but we are not in France. UNCRC rights of the child apply here in England.and we have Equality laws.

However, the argument here for me, the more I think about it is the school has a duty of care for the child, their learning and well being. This head teacher seems to be devoid of any responsibility and quite simply a bigot with power.

needabreak likes this.
  10. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

Is this school the Lowood Institute by any chance?

11. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'd be genuinely interested to know how the rights to not conform to school rules are covered in law since I always thought it was down to the schools rules.

Wouldn't it be lovely if children could be children and then choose as adults what they would like to believe instead of being indoctrinated at home or school into belief systems that globally cause so much chaos... ooh wake up NAB your in the real world and it is pretty rubbish sometimes.

12. delmamerchant

It is about the right to express your religion.

13. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Even if it wasn't - aren't there more important things in life to be concerned about than hair style?

14. delmamerchant

indeed

JL48 likes this.
  15. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

I employed a lad who had dreadlocks. A white kid whose grandmother was Jamaican, There was nothing at all religious about his reason for the dreadlocks. He was a shy kid and no trouble at to manage,

His school initially approached me to see if I'd take him on for a fortnight's work experience. I agreed then at the end of it, I offered him the chance of coming in on Saturdays and holidays for paid employment as he turned out to be useful.

I didn't know it at the time, but he had been going to the worse school in town by Ofsted standards. It's fascinating to consider whether if I had known that, I'd have been reluctant to take him on.

The request from his school came at a time my business was doing quite well and there was sufficient slack in my time that I could give something back, so to speak.

As it happens, at the very same time, I had also been approached by the best school in town to see if I'd take on one of their kids.

There was a noticeable difference the confidence each had, but in terms of how they knuckled down to the tasks I set them, you couldn't get a fag paper between them apart from the fact that the kid with the dreadlocks took a bit more interest and asked if he'd be able to make something for himself on the eve of his last day. I couldn't tell you what it was other than it had something to do with a computer game.

I asked him to describe the thing he wanted and to make a drawing of it, then told him the steps he'd need to go through to make it. He was really proud of himself when he went home that day.

The following day, a teacher from his school turned up to see how his work experience had gone and seemed astonished that he'd done so well.

To be fair to both those kids I gave them both the chance of the Saturday and holiday work and the both jumped at the chance. I couldn't complain about either of them,or differentiate between them which one I'd have picked to offer a full time job to. As it happens, the one from the better school left to go to university and the other I took on full time.

Thinking back on those days now, the work I gave them to do was far more challenging than most kids of their age might have been given, but not unreasonably so. Probably on a par with what I did at their age when the sink or swim mentality was the norm.

The bottom line here is there was no discernible difference between the employability of the kid who turned up wearing a tie on the first day and the one with the dreadlocks.

One was destined for a degree and the other not getting the chance of a look in, despite so far as I could tell, maybe one had the edge on maths and the other the edge on working out how to tackle a job from a practical point of viw.

As for the dreadlocks...

I got to know this kid quite well over the years I employed him. He confided in me that his Jamaican grandmother had plaited his hair for a bit of fun back in the days of Fun Boy Three and his peers then thought the world of him for having the b.ollox to be different, so he stuck with it. As I mentioned earlier, he was an otherwise shy lad and it seems to me that any confidence boost is a going to be a welcome thing.

The school hasn't a clue about people. I don't doubt for a second that if the kid with the dreadlocks had been sent to the school the other kid went to, he'd have been turned away until he had his hair sorted out, lost all his confidence and flunked his future.

I took on two kids from either side of the railway tracks. One had been told that wearing a tie was all important, the other had been told he was a waste of a skin, but the reality was that in the real world they were equal when set on an equal footing.

16. Personally it really depends whether you wanna go gear 4 or awaken your devil fruit! oh wait wrong person mb.