1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School orders boy with dreadlocks to cut hair or face suspension.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

When you have upwards of a thousand teenagers and around 70 adults who have the job of socializing, educating and disciplining you need a good degree of compliance otherwise things break down. The compliance begins at the school gates with the kids wearing the the uniform(including hair style)that the school decides. From day one the parents are clear about the requirements and if they are unhappy they can go to another school. Once the cult of the individual starts to manifest itself the boundaries get blurred and chaos gradually develops. I taught for over 35 years and that is what I have observed. I am sick of of periodic stories of whining parents determined to force their will on that of their local school. If they don't like the uniform they can f off as far as I am concerned.

2. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Although I agree in principle I can also see the issues that Calpurnia points out which are a major problem when some of those in some schools frankly cannot be trusted not to cheat, manipulate figures and discard students who do not appear to "fit" the academic "rigours" at inopportune times which then impacts on said students future... as seen on other threads, while simultaneously showing a complete and utter inability to actually add value to the education of their students, often while seeking self publicity in the media in a manner unbecoming of the profession.

Teachers should be beyond question, honest upstanding members of society and not be given impossible tasks which they spend an inordinate amount of time trying to address using smoke and mirrors as we have seen on other threads.

3. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The school's Uniform and Appearance Policy, which is available on their website, is interesting and contains the following clauses:

4.8 Where a boy is not adhering to the school uniform and appearance policy, staff will be considerate and discreetly try to establish why not. We understand there may be good reasons why a pupil is not attending school in the correct uniform.

4.12 If there are serious reasons, e.g. on religious grounds, why parents want their child to wear clothes that differ from the school uniform, the school will look sympathetically at such requests.

One would think that such consideration, discretion, understanding and sympathy would apply as much to hairstyles as to uniform, particularly for a child in his first week at a new school.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  4. zizzyballoon

zizzyballoon Star commenter

How pathetic it is that the school feels it can only get children to behave well, if it bullies them into being uniform clones. How I despise schools that do this, and heads that abuse their power by demeaning their pupils. What petty- minded, ignorant control freaks they are.

sparkleghirl, InkyP and Calpurnia99 like this.
  5. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Alun Ebenezer, Head of Fulham Boys School is a beta-level numpty who needs to go back to school and gain an education.

Bland, incompetent, narrow-minded bigot that he is.

InkyP likes this.
  6. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

Obviously not a bigot then which is comforting.

InkyP likes this.
  7. delmamerchant

I know. Absolutely despicable! What about his learning and social emotional well being?

8. delmamerchant

I agree. I am astounded that as a head who should know the law, how or why he believes that he can get away with this.
    I think we should offer support for this child and his parent where possible.

9. delmamerchant

Clearly no understanding of the UNCRC

10. delmamerchant

Now now, I am sure there are some, somewhere, anywhere......

11. delmamerchant

So you are for banning all religious expression?

12. delmamerchant

I must say, you are funny on occasions but I do not think that satire is appropriate when this poor child is being denied an education due to someone's obvious bias. There is a time and place Robin Hood;)

13. delmamerchant

what the hell is he going to do if a boy comes in a dress?

14. delmamerchant

As is the scarf and clothing that muslims wear.

15. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

It's time some schools 'got over it' and stopped encouraging hatred of individuality. Some schools are breeding grounds for division.

I'm so pleased I hardly ever attended the one they tried to put me in.

If I had gone there and stayed there I'm frightened of the type of person I could have become.

Why would an adult oppress a child in this way? This, to me is a safeguarding issue. But then again, so are most of the policies of schools.

Many schools seem to be run my people who should be nowhere near children.

Ignorant, narrow-minded, silly people.

Basically, fearful people.

16. delmamerchant

I agree

17. delmamerchant

he must have realised that religion superseded this rule

18. delmamerchant

convinced or not, there are rights

19. delmamerchant

which is where the bigotry comes in...you only look posh if you have short back and sides. it is not as if he grew them in the summer holidays

sparkleghirl likes this.
  20. delmamerchant

I agree with you to infinity