1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School orders boy with dreadlocks to cut hair or face suspension.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

A 12 year old boy who wants to wear such an obvious sign of a religion, he should be saved from the indoctrination.

lanokia, Oscillatingass and nomad like this.
  2. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Headmaster Alan Ebenezer said: “Boys cannot have hair longer than their collar or shorter than a number two."

So it's sexist.

Look, I'm not standing up for misogyny. If you're going to mention misogyny then I'm going to harp on about Islam. If you're going to mention indoctrination then I'll mention Christianity, Islam, Judaism and every other ruddy -ism.

*sniggers at the name Ebenezer for a mean headmaster*

3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I agree, save the children from it until they are old enough to decide for themselves, no obvious signs of any religion at school.

Laphroig likes this.
  4. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

It's a boys' school.

sabrinakat, woollani and nomad like this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Well, it claims to be.

But then so does the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. :)

And then there are those people who put 'Jedi' on Census returns.

theworm123 and woollani like this.
  6. grumpydogwoman

Trouble is though that I was a teacher and not the fashion police. If I had to go round telling people to remove that cross from round their neck and that scarf from their head and that turban from their bonce? I'd never do any teaching.

So, much as I dislike many of the practices associated with many religions, I reluctantly have to concede that other people can have their symbols. As long as it's not sexually provocative or an issue H&S-wise? Just get on with it.

It's a conflict of interest really. I'm going to be espousing many liberal values in PSCHE etc. Then I'm telling them how to dress. It's not easy. I prefer to guide, inform, instruct rather than dictate. "Here's why I don't like the headscarf. Now you tell me why you choose to wear it."

InkyP likes this.
  7. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

The last time I remember seeing a student with dreads was in a documentary about Christ's Hospital School!! This is the school where they voted-students-by 90% in favour, to retain the uniform which was designed in the 16 century when the school was founded. Think yellow knee socks, breeches and cravat. The dreads looked really cool. :)

8. nomad

nomad Star commenter

There is a difference between a religious requirement and something which a religious adherent chooses to adopt.

In Sikhism, kesh - the practice of allowing one's hair to grow naturally as a symbol of respect for the perfection of God's creation - is one of the Five Ks, the outward symbols ordered by Guru Gobind Singh in 1699 as a means to profess the Sikh faith. In Rastafarianism there is no requirement to wear dreadlocks - it is a matter of personal preference.

Similarly, in Sikhism the wearing of the bangle (kara) is another requirement. There is no requirement in Christianity for an adherent to wear a crucifix or sport a fish on the back of your car. Those are personal preferences.

9. Calpurnia99

Calpurnia99 Star commenter

It all boils down to a desire on the part of the school to look posh, control the parents and crush every ounce of individuality out of the kids.
    Perfect.

10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

11. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

12. nomad

nomad Star commenter

sabrinakat likes this.
  13. Rott Weiler

Didn't my link work for you @nomad? It's a publicly available page AFAIK - I'm not a New Law Journal subscriber either!
    /
    /
    /

14. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I got this...

The cornrow row
    Sarah Watson assesses the lawfulness of a school’s ban on cornrows

The full content of this page is available to premium users only.

Username *
    Enter your New Law Journal username.
    Password *
    Enter the password that accompanies your username.
    Remember me

Become a subscriber or take a free trial

sabrinakat likes this.
  15. grumpydogwoman

It's irrelevant to me @nomad whether people want to signal their religious persuasion (cross round your neck) or feel that their religion will disown them if they don't obey the explicit rules (Sikhism).

Do as you please. Provided you don't preach hate (that would preclude certain T-shirts) or offend public decency (chest hanging out) or find yourself with your hair trapped in the door? Go right ahead.

I see no difference between sky fairies who tell me to worship a risen Christ and sky fairies who say I can't join the gang if I don't wear a bangle. I'm not going to impose my beliefs on you. Wear your cross. Wear your bangle. Think what you like. I'm just here to help you with your phonics.

Laphroig, nomad and InkyP like this.
  16. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

I'm not convinced that school is the place for displays of any religious belief.

Laphroig and Mangleworzle like this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

18. Rott Weiler

Well there's a mystery, I get the full article and I'm not a premium user or subscriber of any sort, and I'm not logged in to the NLJ either. I just googled the case name and the page popped up top of the list! Thanks for the alternative link.

nomad likes this.
  19. needabreak

needabreak Star commenter

Ain't it "fanks"?

nomad likes this.
  20. grumpydogwoman

Multiplication methods also a speciality. ;)