1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School orders boy with dreadlocks to cut hair or face suspension.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by delmamerchant, Sep 15, 2017.

1. delmamerchant

delmamerchant Established commenter

I cannot believe that this sort of ridiculous request is still being asked in the 21st Century. How can you deny someone the right to express their religion? Have they not read the United Nations Convention for the Rights of Children? If the reporting is right, then to have a rule saying 'no dreadlocks at school,' could be perceived as anti religion, re a specific religion. If I was a remainer I would blame this on the Brexit vote but this to me appears to be Religiously motivated: and the same issue comes up time and time again in relation to Caribbean hair styles. Shame on you Fulham Boy's School. Head teacher defends himself by saying that it is a strict academic school - what an inflammatory comment with so many implications.

minnie me, emerald52, kearl1 and 5 others like this.
  2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

My grandson has a huge afro and also goes to s strict academic school. The HT has complimented him on his amazing hair.

3. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

How ridiculous!!! :rolleyes:

Give the kids a bit of freedom rather than make a sick for your own back. I've never been a big fan of standard hair styles as, TBH, unless the student is forever playing, there is no harm.

emerald52 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

As I understand it, the school uniform policy was made clear to the mother prior to the start of term. As the mother knew what the uniform requirements were before term started, why not discuss the issue in advance rather than starting this media storm. If she is unhappy with the school's policy surely she can take her son to a school with a different policy.

5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

I suspect there are many institutions in which dreadlocks would not be permitted, including the armed forces, the police, the fire brigade and several others. This school is one such. There are alternatives.

Conformity to institutional expectations is part of life. I am not exactly overflowing with sympathy for the boy or his mother.

6. Oscillatingass

Spot on.:)

woollani and nomad like this.
  7. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

Are sikh boys permitted to have plaits?

8. Oscillatingass

You should google it.

9. calamansi

calamansi Lead commenter

I've tried, without success, and I'm tenacious.

10. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

He had them tied up and out of the way. Does that mean the school would not employ a teacher with dreads? He looked smart enough to me. I can't imagine the police service refusing to employ him. If they did I'd be wondering if there was a bit more to it than his hairstyle. Which is what I am wondering about this school. Bottom line. What harm is he doing?

Hmmmm.

emerald52 and InkyP like this.
  11. Northernsole

Northernsole Occasional commenter

The school has a policy. If they do not like it, find a school that accomodates them. I have zero respect for this pseudo religion, which is demonstatably misogynistic and racist.

12. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Suspect he does not ' conform ' - enough said. Have not read / looked at the ' story ' but I hope he goes onto find a cure for cancer.

13. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

14. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

At one secondary school in Somerset, children with "extreme" hair styles are always sent home until they are sporting a more conventional style. Parents who challenge this are directed to the school on the other side of town. I understand that so far 99% have complied and so remain at that school.

Funny haircut = bad behavior
    Confucious. : )

Jesmond12 and Oscillatingass like this.
  15. install

install Star commenter

I am all for individuality....:cool:

16. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Her Maj has a YR 12 nephew with a huge Afro. Didn't stop him acing his GCSEs or being employed at the age of 16 by a major London software company in his school holiday to do coding! He earns more already than many young teachers and he was only 16 in February.

He is also as docile and compliant as they come.

Girls can have long hair and tie it up. Why can't boys?

17. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

The key is in the posts above - it is not the army it is an educational institution. It can have a dress code, uniform and policies but the children do have human rights. They have the right to be individuals and to be different, to have cultural needs, so on, within constraints.
    For example, they don't have the right to interfere with the rights of others, for example, by disrupting lessons, upsetting teachers, hurting teachers or other students, damaging school property and so on.
    We live in a society where leading men and women wear funny wigs to maintain our laws and exercise power over others. So making a fuss about dreadlocks is just so silly. And it is discrimination. For which we have laws and a legal system led by people with dreadlocks.

18. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This. It's his gender rather than his race that seems to be the issue for the school.

grumpydogwoman, nomad and install like this.
  19. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

I watched the interview with the mother and son on This Morning. She said they had met the Head on a couple of occasions before the boy started the school. The Head said nothing about his hair, at that time.
    The poor lad was taken out of class on his first day and put into isolation, where he would remain until he had it cut.

It sounds like it was handled badly by the school.

20. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

Well yes - how many 'emotionally intelligent ' Heads have you worked for ? :(

Laphroig and grumpydogwoman like this.