1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School non-closures and Boris Johnson

Discussion in 'Education news' started by hbee1, Mar 13, 2020.

1. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Thanks for ignoring every other part of my post but the pedantry about the union. I have been keeping up to date, they wrote a letter I think, and had a cuppa with Gavin Williamson, he sang them a Blue song

They should be arranging our walkouts, right now. We are not prepared to be the only people in Europe* still at the frontline being coronavirus sponges. We don't know anything about this virus, some humility or recognition would be lovely.

Yes they should be striking, so should the nurses and emergency workers. You want to be heard? Now is the time.

We won't though, as evidenced by NO agreement with my above points.

*To pre-empt the only type of reply one can expect on this forum; except Sweden and umm not even Finland anymore. I think Germany and Finland have kept a skeleton staff on too.

You all cool with all of this? Really?

Looks like I'm on my own then.

Also, yet again no mention of schools. Isn't this suspicious to anyone but me? Are we all that happy with how the government that we don't even think about it?

EDIT - just got the union update this second, it's good they are calling for this, shame I beat them to it with this sentiment and it's very disheartening more of my colleagues on here didn't have enough self-respect to demand the same. Should've been done last week but I guess maybe not even them would've imagined this level of rank incompetance in every way with the handling of this

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Any Union is no stronger than its membership - they have no special powers - they are simply what you allow them to be. For example - are strikes actually the answer in the current crisis?

3. smilingisgoodforyou

smilingisgoodforyou Occasional commenter

Really?

So.….in the middle of a devastating health crisis, you want the people who are saving lives to go on strike.
    How is that a good idea?:eek:

bessiesmith2, Sally006 and install like this.
  4. install

install Star commenter

Closing schools has not been shown to slow the virus significantly according to some critics. And it causes more disruption. I do not doubt schools may extend Easter hols or close should they need to for example. But questions remain about the effectiveness of closing schools, and views do seem mixed.

Acc. to ‘The Sacramento Bee’ (US) : ‘Schools across California and the U.S. announced widespread closures Friday, but the federal government’s top health officials say it likely won’t make much difference in slowing the spread of COVID-19.

Regular hand washing and home isolation for students with symptoms likely have more impact than closing schools for two weeks to a month, they said.’

But if the UK are now changing direction and looking to suppress the virus - along with other countries, the time is approaching imho to look at schools at least letting some students stay at home.

5. Lalex123

Lalex123 Established commenter

If closing schools isn’t effective, why don’t they just open them back up?

Closing schools wasn’t effective because of the incubation period. If countries didn’t leave it so late, self isolation would work. If you are quarantined and you already have the virus, the quarantine is useless.

We are leaving it too late. We don’t know the potential or long lasting effects of this virus. They are no longer testing people which makes the number of new cases appear lower. Even key workers aren’t being tested so they could be passing it on. This is a new virus and therefore unstable and unpredictable. It has already mutated... why are we being experimented on whilst everyone else is asked to limit contact?

Tonight I put pressure on my rep to call a union meeting tomorrow. Tomorrow I will be asking my colleagues to strike with me. We need a plan from the government instead of just mindlessly plodding a long until we become ill or die. How much more serious can it be before we stand up for what is right for our colleagues, families and the vulnerable children couped up in tiny classrooms with no hand sanitiser! Apparently companies are hiking up prices of cleaning products to exploit schools in the current crisis.

6. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

All of you? I can't see why. It's a sad fact. The alternative was not to mention it, in which case he's have been accused of ducking it, or to say everything would be fine, in which case he would have been accused of making light of peoples' tragedies. I expect he knew that, so decided that the least bad option was to tell the truth in as gentle a way as possible.

That's because there are not yet that many test kits, and they need to be used for those who are really poorly.

I think he's doing what he has been advised by experts to do, and that this will change over time. Experts disagree, so he has to go with a judgement on who is most likely to be right. (There are many on here who clearly know far better than Boris or the CSA, but as they are not PM we will, sadly, be unable to take advantage of their expertise and deal with the crisis perfectly...)

I also think he genuinely does believe he's doing his best. Why would he not? Despite the hatred of some who oppose him politically, he isn't the antichrist. My personal view is that so far he's been a good PM, but clearly there are many who disagree and that's fine.

You are entitled to your opinion. But what you call the "people will die, deal with it" debacle is not a debacle. It is just your rewording and interpretation of part of hsi speech, slanted to appear uncaring. And it proves nothing, except that you can type in English. It cannot prove anything about the PM's compassion or otherwise for the people of the UK.

cocoadaisy and install like this.
  7. install

install Star commenter

You have left it late with the Union imho. Many schools I know called theirs in last week.

Even so - striking isn’t the answer imho. There are some hts who are closing their schools already due to staff absence and/or student absence. And if people are genuinely ill then that will be the consequence.

Let’s not forget our nhs staff too. Some of my mates are being told to go into work even if mildly ill and that ain’t good either.

8. Marisha

Marisha Occasional commenter

install likes this.
  9. install

install Star commenter

10. Lalex123

My doctor friends are told to go in too but when they signed up for working in the health care industry they accepted that something like this was inevitable and they would be on the front line. Just because one group of people is forced to take risks, doesn’t justify us all to take those risks. Especially those with underlying health conditions. I know some GPS who are not in work because of concerns for their family and personal health. They shouldn’t be forced to be in work or vilified if absent, and neither should teachers. They only want us so we can babysit their kids whilst the economy is propped up for as long as possible.

11. gainly

gainly Star commenter

All schools in Scotland and Wales are to close by Friday. I expect England will do the same. I wonder what is going to happen about GCSE and A level exams.

12. install

install Star commenter

Agree in part.

But remember there are vulnerable kids and children of Nurses and Drs for example that will need to be looked after. This is a pandemic after all and it is about slowing the virus down - and working together on that.

13. bugsysmum

bugsysmum New commenter

I know, well I thought I knew , this was a wind up, what is terribly worrying is that you may just be the HT of my school. We very nearly have this situation.

steely1 likes this.
  14. Lalex123

Absolutely, and since posting that a lot has changed for me (SLT are in school to babysit 10 students, all other staff are to stay at home unless needed). If I was still required in, I would be demanding PPE and adequate procedures followed. Children have been unable to wash hands for example, because school doesn’t put soap in the toilets. I don’t like how the government has treated most people like they are expendable during this and I hope people remember this when voting next time.

15. install

install Star commenter

Which people would that be? Are you not getting paid while not in?

16. Lalex123

Family members work for non vital services and are being financially forced to stay in work or risk sick pay, sports direct claiming their staff are key workers (thankfully that’s been rectified), tubes and public transport absolutely hammered because many vocations are forced to go in work.... I think the governments handling of this situation is outrageous. We knew it was coming in December, my more senior medic friends received their PPE in January. The British government appear to be fire fighting instead of taking appropriate preventative action...

17. catherinedavid

catherinedavid New commenter

I am sorry I disagree with you. I think Boris does care and the fact he has said that people will die before their time is his way of hammering the consequences home to us. Many are still not adhering to what he has said like "staying at home" or "social distancing". We must listen to him however unpalatable his words may be, because he is RIGHT: families will lose loved ones and we ARE! As I write the news is showing photos of those who have died yesterday! Iam NOT appalled, Boris has NO choice but to ram home the dreadful truth and consequences of this terrible Chinese virus!!!

18. catherinedavid

catherinedavid New commenter

For me so far, one of the most interesting things is how easily things can fall apart... if a significant number of people even miss a few days work.... they might fall behind with rent, be evicted, become homeless etc... Thinking back I'm not sure those in power ever gave a monkeys, only now the contempt is more blatant.

Are you not aware that Boris has agreed to pay out people's wages and the self employed up to 80%?! They can claim welfare payments and banks are granting 3 months mortgage holiday. I cannot see how that kind of action equates to "not giving a monkeys!" Absolute nonsense!

19. install

install Star commenter

Oh dear -you don’t come across very well at the end of your post. And you are right BJ is doing all he can - but even BJ has never called the virus a ‘Chinese’ one. It shows incredible ignorance on your part in my view.

The Coronavirus affects the whole humanity - regardless of race. And calling a virus after a race is not really fair of you and encourages discrimination. Please tell us you are not a teacher.

bessiesmith2 likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Edit

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020