1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School non-closures and Boris Johnson

Discussion in 'Education news' started by hbee1, Mar 13, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

I thought that there was for practical subjects?

2. ridleyrumpus

We didn't pay any money back through austerity. We Just reduced the amount we added to our debt each year.

Our debt just went up at a slower rate.

3. ridleyrumpus

I disagree, schools reflect society and are in general neither left it right leaning.

Of course dependent on your own position they can look either left or right wing.

Lidnod likes this.
  4. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Not that I've ever heard of, not legal limits. If there were I'm sure I would have heard schools quote them when I'm on admissions appeals panels, but I never have.

There are general H&S obligations of course for any subject and setting. Maximum numbers in practical subjects would surely be limited by available workspaces and equipment in practice?

5. ridleyrumpus

"Maximum numbers in practical subjects would surely be limited by available workspaces and equipment in practice?"

Now that is naive

We have so many in a science lab that we have had to board over the sinks so pupils can put their books there, others have to work around the gas taps...

I think that you are right there is a h&s rule that states 25(?) For practical lessons but the has been a (temp?) Waiver for as long as I can remember.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  6. Rott Weiler

Never heard of that but I doubt it. H&S law mainly deals with H&S principles not that level of detail.

7. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

Lets not forget that the Mayor in Jaws is Boris's 'hero':

8. ridleyrumpus

"
    BS 4163:2014 Health and safety for design and technology in educational and similar establishments – Code of practice states that:

‘In England and Wales, there should be a maximum of 20 learners with one competent, qualified teacher in any one work area.’

‘In Scotland and Northern Ireland, there should be a maximum of 20 pupils for all classes in practical subjects.’

https://www.data.org.uk/for-educati...upils-taught-within-dt-workshops-and-studios/

9. Rott Weiler

There you go, I never knew that. It's definitely not followed in schools where I've been a governor (although it's only a Code of Practice not a law).

At admissions appeals when schools are explaining why they are full and can't take in any more children I have never heard a school refer to this as one of their reasons, which suggests to me it's not widely known. I'm sure they'd be quick to mention it if they'd known about it!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
  10. ridleyrumpus

It would be interesting to see if something went wrong and someone was hurt and it became apparent that the school could not sat why it did not follow the code of practice. You can hardly say we didn't know about it and be taken seriously.

11. BTBAM85

BTBAM85 New commenter

Another day, another day of tiny disease factories infecting YOU and then all of your elderly and vulnerable relatives.

Another day, NO word from the unions. Fully in cahoots with the DfE these days. They don't care about you.

Another day of NO measures taken. The government don't care about you.

Never going to close the schools. The whole world will have done it and we will refuse. This is your punishment for being teachers.

Good luck to all your vulnerable family members through this, because no one else is going to wish you it.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  12. ridleyrumpus

There has been guidance from the Unions. What do you think they should do call out a strike?

13. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Have you called your Union? Asked them what they are doing about this? If so, what did they say?

bajan likes this.
  14. ridleyrumpus

Or read their news reports/emails?

15. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Occasional commenter

NEU states they have written a strongly worded letter to BoJo last Friday demanding to know the rationale behind keeping schools open.

16. ridleyrumpus

Bet that has been "filed"

17. hbee1

hbee1 New commenter

NASUWT have also given out guidance (thanks for replying to my thread, I've only just come back to it!)

If you are a member of the NASUWT and your school makes move to double class sizes, or make them bigger in any way, they advise you to contact the union immediately. So if BoJo decides to make classes huge, I can't imagine the unions would simply sit idly by...

18. Taco_123

Taco_123 New commenter

Until i start my full time role at the college on a contract, i am a sessional lecturer and therefore i don't have the same security as my colleagues.

I agree that the schools and colleges should be shut but i am also a little selfish in not wanting this to happen because i won't get paid when we inevitably lock-down.

install likes this.
  19. ridleyrumpus

One the union is its members it leaders would not "do" anything on their own.

Two I seriously doubt that the leaders would call for action or the like, it would be s very bad move politically.

20. Smithsboy

Smithsboy New commenter

Welcomed today by a room that had not seen even a spray of disenfectant - sick cleaners (some of which who have issues that meant they would never have been in - no fore thought or planning) and a promise it would be resolved by Thursday! Kids who had been the room now self-isolating with symptoms. A missing leader ,"ill" apparently (not virus related). Ludicrous demands for what we should be offering during closure and, to top it off, a demand that reports, due in a week, still need to be done. All with a good dose of emotional blackmail and the pencils of blame from SMT already being sharpened...

Lalex123 likes this.