1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

School non-closures and Boris Johnson

Discussion in 'Education news' started by hbee1, Mar 13, 2020.

1. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

Have MPs been instructed to stop their surgeries? Just asking. Actually many GPs surgeries have closed and are only doing phone consultations. No one is being silly here and suggesting hospital workers should stop.

Catgirl1964 likes this.
  2. install

install Star commenter

You are being silly by suggesting that all teachers lives are at risk though and that they should all not go into work at this point. And in turn very hypocritical to see it as okay to put the lives of all Nurses and all Doctors on the line.

Your argument is deeply flawed imho. And a silly one imho. And you still have not answered the question: ' Do you have an underlying health condition and have you informed your school about it?' :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    lizziescat and sparklepig2002 like this.
  3. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

Children, as we have heard so many times as a reason to not close schools, do not display severe symptoms so may well be carriers without even realising it. It is naive to think that the now officially admitted many thousands who are infected do not include quite a few schoolchildren. It only takes one infected child to infect an entire school population - think door handles, desks, etc.

4. Catgirl1964

Nurses and doctors enter their professions expecting to come into close contact with many ill people. School staff do not.

5. install

install Star commenter

How do you know that you are coming into contact with many ill people ? Or have you made that up? :rolleyes:

6. Catgirl1964

If you read my quote more carefully, I said expecting to come into contact as in an expected hazard of the job. You are splitting hairs.

7. install

install Star commenter

Think virus - not scapegoats. . Don't scapegoat 'one infected child'. Think facts - not imaginary world :rolleyes:

8. install

install Star commenter

We are talking 'virus' here - splitting hairs hardly touches it . So what has your Union advised? :rolleyes:

9. Catgirl1964

Are you seriously suggesting that nurses and doctors do not expect to come into contact with many ill people? Also, as you suggested earlier, many people may already be infected. Or does that not fit your argument now?

10. install

install Star commenter

To be frank, I sense panic in your post still because you know deep down that your position is not based on fact but hearsay. And that is the weakness in your 'CLOSE ALL SCHOOLS NOW' argument at this point in time. Sorry - but you have got it wrong imho. It isn't time yet. It may be in a couple of weeks time though.

And besides - you have not answered my questions:

Are you seriously stating that you are in contact with several ill people at your school and that your life is at risk? Have you in fact made that up?

What has your Union advised? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  11. Catgirl1964

Please tell me where I stated my life was at risk. I said my health. As most people, several members of my family are in their 70s and 80s and not in the best of health. I do not want to risk infecting them, nor do I want to have a week of being potentially quite unwell.
    In 2009 my son, a very fit and healthy 21 year old, had swine flu which turned into pneumonia in both lungs requiring a 10 day stay in hospital on oxygen. The severity of swine flu was played down then and, without the assistance of the internet, I was not aware swine flu could become pneumonia. He made a full recovery, by the way, thanks to the doctors and nurses.

12. install

install Star commenter

Our Doctors, Nurses, police and teachers and public workers all do a wonderful job. Its good to know we can all rely on them to help, especially in times of crisis whether personal or very public. Sorry to hear about the members of your family and their poor health.

I will rephrase my original questions:

How do you know your health is at risk by going into your school? Or have you in fact made that up?

Do you see this as a 'virus' in your school or in your (inappropriate imho) words the potential result of 'one infected child'? Did you really mean to use those words?

And,

What has your Union advised?

13. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

What about workers in other sectors?
    Electricity
    Water
    Sewage
    Gas supplies
    Delivery drivers
    Transport (those health workers need to get to work somehow)
    Workers In factories making/ supplying medicines
    Refuse workers
    Food processing (the stockpiles will run out eventually)

so these should close down as well:eek:. Not sure they can work from home but they’ll have to if schools are closed

Even insurance and banking, telecommunications, radio, TV will need people to maintain their services which, I’m guessing, some will be needing to use.

ajrowing, phlogiston and install like this.
  14. install

install Star commenter

For me, its clear that what may be needed at some point is a whole 'societal response' to the virus, whereby for example all the public sector and parents of school children work together. And look to a new model in the face of exceptional circumstances.

For example, imho that may mean having schools open and lessons continuing for those in their exam year. It will still mean teachers and public workers performing their duties as far as possible, but in the best and controlled way.

15. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

What slogan do you prefer? 'Big Society' or 'Getting Coronavirus Done'?

ajrowing likes this.
  16. install

install Star commenter

'Living in Reality not Fear ' ...works for me. But 'Stay Calm' is just as good. :D

17. harsh-but-fair

Ah yes, the old wartime slogans ...

[​IMG]

install likes this.
  18. install

install Star commenter

Yep, similar. Although, I would change the tagline in small print to 'Wash your hands regularly' :D

19. harsh-but-fair

Or ...

[​IMG]

install likes this.
  20. install

install Star commenter

Even better. Could we see the return of the 'handkerchief' in our fashion accessories?